APPLICATION LETTER

5178 Dunbar Street

Vancouver, BC, V6T 1X7

May 22, 2020

Technical Writing (English 301) Summer Class of 2020

University of British Columbia

Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z1

Dear Students of Technical Writing:

I am writing to you as a part of my application to be accepted into your professional writing team for this course. I believe I can be a worthy teammate due to my work ethics, skills, and experiences in relation to technical writing, which I will further discuss briefly in this letter.

As stated in my blog, currently I part-time as a Financial Analyst at Oreninc and till last semester I was the Vice President Analytics for the Red Cross club at the University of British Columbia (UBC). As a Financial Analyst, I read and analyse up to fifteen mining sector stock market news releases every other weekday and formally write to clients and companies about their financial inquiries. As the Vice President of the Red Cross UBC, my position entailed me to write to various internal and external event sponsors, as well as formally document work of the club throughout the year. Both these positions have been salient in allowing me to learn how to write professionally as well as develop the writing ability to convey my thoughts clearly with regards to different subject matters. All these skills mentioned above would be invaluable to our professional writing team.

At UBC I study Bachelors of International Economics (BIE). My time in UBC has provided me with a myriad of opportunities in terms of being able to effectively communicate, work and learn from people with diverse backgrounds. BIE is a rigorous economics program that has required me to read, comprehend and write several academic research papers and journals. The topics of these journals and papers range from international trade, finance, development, to micro-macro level economics. Thus, illustrating my natural focus on being able to excel in technical writing and my professional interest in working in organizations that work towards helping communities thrive economically.

As indicated above, my strengths in terms of writing skills and work ethics include, but are not limited to, the following: diligence, time management, attention to detail, clarity and determination to always do my best. My tangible experience in writing business documents, emails and research papers are extremely beneficial. My technical writing weaknesses would be my limited experience in writing different types of professional documents. However, this is exactly why I decided to be a part of this course.

My learning philosophy is very much embedded in learning by doing the task on my own and learning from my mistakes. I learn best when I read, see sample work and then try to do it. Moreover, I am comfortable learning within a group or independently.

If you are interested in forming a team with me for this course, you can contact me through Canvas or email, znbtrmb@gmail.com, as per the course schedule and outline. I am thrilled to begin working with you and getting to know you.

Sincerely,

Zainab Rauf Tramboo

Technical Writing Student of English 301

University of British Columbia

301 Zainab Rauf Tramboo Application letter