SELF-ASSESSMENT

The English 301 learning process was not so smooth or easy, which is what I expected as someone who usually cannot come up with the right words nor fancies writing as a whole. However, undertaking this course was imperative for me to get serious about my technical writing skills in a professional environment as an aspiring economist. I struggled with condensing my sentences and formalizing my tone through assignments but looking back at my work, I am now more confident in my writing.

Some assignments, like the formal report, required a lot of structuring, organizing, and sticking to guidelines. It also required scrutinizing a large chunk of data and attention to detail, making it one of my hardest assignments. I struggled with this assignment but after peer-reviews and second looks, I felt satisfied by doing my best. Although, keeping aside more time to work on the formal report and working on it over time would have made for a more effective result.

Other assignments, such as the definition assignment or the web folio were easier to finish. I realized how I tend to work better on tasks that are short and not have many guidelines to follow. Moreover, giving and receiving peer reviews were the most salient part of the course. Peer reviews allowed me to learn from other mistakes, brilliant work, and ideas as well as perfect the art of constructive feedback and pay attention to common mistakes.

The English 301 course really helped me grasp the professional tones and attention to detail that are necessary in my career. I look forward to taking these learnings and integrating them into my everyday work.