3 responses to “Underwater Art Installation Should Help Marine Ecosystems

1. nahalhaghbin

Wow!!!!! This is amazing!!!!!!!!! I am a huge art fan as well and having a community of people underground is so beautiful. It makes me think of the Terracotta army in Xian, China, but instead of being buried in the ground, it is deep in the sea. When I was reading the post, I was wondering how they selected these people to begin in? What type of criteria would they have in order to be chosen by the artist? I am pleased to have read that he is continuing his art work under the sea. I am glad that scientists tested this project before to see how it would effect the ecosystem, but I wonder how long did they tested it out before they approved it? I am a bit skeptical about whether or not it is beneficial to the environment and to what and who’s standards were they approved by.

2. This is a very interesting place! It definitely creates more awareness on coral reef preservation and this is a creative way of attracting the public. I wonder what gave the sculptor the idea to install these sculptures underwater – is he himself a scuba diver or is he merely just trying to make a statement with these sculptures?

Also, like the comment above, this sudden attraction to coral reefs and the MUSA in the Cancun area might be detrimental to the cause as more tourists might want to come and see the sculptures. This onslaught of tourists will disturb the marine ecosystems there. It will be interesting to see some research done on whether the new installations brought an increase in tourist counts and whether that increase influenced the marine ecosystems in any way.

3. This is definitely a neat and interesting way to display art. Not only does it increase the public’s awareness about the threatened natural reefs, but it also creates a new habitat for the affected species of fish as well. Furthermore, I was also wondering whether there was a specific reason that the artist decided to use sculptures of humans. Perhaps the facial and structural features of humans are more habitable for fish. Or perhaps it makes it easier for potential scuba divers to blend in with the surrounding. Nevertheless, I think it would definitely be beneficial if scientists monitor the site as an experiment. If data shows that fish are exponentially coming back, then this sort of art could be implemented into other areas of the world as well. The only probable negative consequence of this art is that it could attract too many tourists, if this occurs they could potentially disrupt the habitat of the fishes living on the art. However, this can be easily avoided by limiting the number of visitors to the site. Interesting to note, I know that New York does a similar thing with their old subway trains, they drop them into the ocean for fish to habitat. An article of it can be found he here