Conference Presentations

2023

Iqbal, I. (November 1, 2023). You’ve got what you need! A coach approach to your teaching and facilitation. Lightning talk at Studio 23, a 2 day symposium organized by BC Campus. Find the recording and resources in the Recording and Resources section.

2021

Iqbal, I. (June 9, 2021. Invited Keynote Workshop). The values that propel your teaching and learning leadership. Keynote workshop presented at the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Unconference.

Iqbal, I. & Sharif, A. (May, 2021). Re-imagining peer evaluation: An inclusive summative peer review of online teaching framework. Session presented at the Educational Technology Users Group Spring Workshop.  Download the PDF with links to the open-source framework here.

Iqbal, I., Chan, J. & Hampton, S. (February, 2021). Relationships and learning in a course design-intensive for faculty. Video presentation at the Educational Developers Caucus Conference of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.

2019

Iqbal, I. & Chan, J. (2019, May 16). Why I avoid reading my student evaluations of teaching. Session at Simon Fraser University’s 17th Symposium on Teaching and Learning. Vancouver, BC. Session description here.

Iqbal, I. & Smith, K. (2019, January 26). Using mastermind groups to build capacity in the first year experience. Roundtable session at the First Year Educators’ Symposium. Vancouver, BC. Session handout available here.

2018

Kim, B., Meyers, J., & Iqbal, I. (2018, October 24). Student peer assessment essentials: What you need to know before implementing this approach. Session presented at BC Campus’ 2018 Symposium.  Vancouver, BC.  All session material can be found here (Slides + 3 handouts).

Chen, D. & Iqbal, I. (2018, October). How to use mastermind groups in educational development? Online session presented at the Educational Developers Caucus Not Just Another Webinar. Presentation slides here. Participant resource here.

Iqbal, I. & Chan, J. (2018, February). Offer advice? Ask questions? The role of coaching in educational development. Roundtable session presented at the Educational Developers Caucus Conference of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Session handout here.

Hannon, N., Iqbal, I. & Potter, M. (2018, February). The ED Grants for Exchanges (EDGEs): Support for honing our craft in community. Roundtable session presented at the Educational Developers Caucus Conference of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.

2017

Iqbal, I., Bates, S., Albon, S. (2017, October). The educational leadership map and framework: Helping instructors document impact. Interactive session presented at the Professional & Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) Conference, Montreal, QC. Session materials here.

Savard, C. & Iqbal, I. (2017 October). Fostering significant conversations about teaching among university teachers. Presented at the Professional & Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) Conference, Montreal, QC. Session materials here.

Poole, G., Verwood, R. Iqbal, I. (2017, October). Instructor’s conversations about teaching: Using social network theory to reach beyond our existing networks. 2017 International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Calgary, AB.

Bartolic, S., & Iqbal, I. (2017, June). Student peer feedback and review: Student perceptions to reflect on why and how.  2017 Teaching Family Science Conference, Paradise Island, Bahamas. Slides in PDFHandout.

2016

Poole, G., Verwood, R. Iqbal, I. (2016 October). Using personal networks and social network theory to improve teaching and learning. Pre-conference workshop at 2016 International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Los Angeles, CA.

Poole, G., Verwood, R. Iqbal, I. (2016, October). Tales of teaching and learning: Whose stories matter to you and why? Conference workshop at 2016 International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Los Angeles, CA.

Iqbal, I., Greig, A., Ho, A., Bradley, A., & Rankin, A. (2016, October). Using student peer assessment to promote critical analysis skills and reflective abilities. Work-in-progress session presented at CHES Celebration of Scholarship, Vancouver, BC. View presentation slides and download Student Peer Assessment Handout.

Iqbal, I., Jasper, J., Kristensen, E. (2016, June). Workshop for New Educational Developers. Full day workshop presented at the Festival of Learning, Burnaby, BC.

2015

Iqbal, I., Kustra, E., Dawson, D., McDonald, J. Chan, J. (2015, November). The educational developer’s portfolio: Preparation, practice, performance, and proof. Interactive session presented at the Professional & Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) Conference, San Francisco, CA.

Iqbal, I., Albon, S., Pearson, M. (2015, June). Strategic planning in an educational development centre: Motivation, management, and messiness. Roundtable session presented at the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference. Vancouver, BC.  (Download handout).

Timmermans, J., Hoessler, C., Iqbal, I. (2015, June). Setting our sights: Exploring alternative career routes in educational development. Roundtable session presented at the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Conference. Vancouver, BC.

2014

Iqbal, I. (2014, November). Identifying faculty development needs for the integrated curriculum. Roundtable session presented at the Professional & Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD) Conference, Dallas, TX. Iqbal-POD 2014-integration (HO, PDF)

Pearson, M., Iqbal, I., Lee, J. & Albon, S. (2014, May). No easy answers: Attempting to improve the student evaluation of teaching process in a Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Presentation at the 16th Ottawa Conference, Ottawa, ON.

Wright, L., & Iqbal, I. (2014, February). Sharing our stories: Building an educational development portfolio. Session presented at the Annual Winter Conference of the Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Calgary, Canada.

Iqbal, I., Chan.J., & Wright, L. (2014, February). Knowing our stories: An exploration of educational development portfolios. Session presented at the Annual Winter Conference of the Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Calgary, Canada.

Kristensen, E., Smith, H., Iqbal, I., Dawson, T., & Knaack, L. (2014, February). Mentoring our future leaders: Defining next steps. Session presented at the Annual Winter Conference of the Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Calgary, Canada.

2013

Iqbal, I. (2013, June). Summative review of teaching and professional growth–Is there a connection. Paper presented at the Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education Conference, Victoria, BC, Canada.

Iqbal, I. (2013, June). The department head’s role in valuing summative peer reviews of teaching. Paper presentated at the Canadian Society for the Study of Higher Education Conference, Victoria, BC, Canada.

Bain, M., Lee, Z., Golparian, S. Wright, L., & Iqbal, I. (2013, June). Lessons from the field: Communities of practice in post-secondary context. Poster presentation at the Canadian Society for Studies in Higher Education, Victoria, BC.

2012

Iqbal, I. (2012, April). Faculty members’ experiences of receiving feedback in the summative peer reviews of teaching. Poster presentation at the American Educational Research Association Conference, Vancouver, BC, Canada. View AERA Poster.

Iqbal, I. (2012, February). ‘That’s not my thing’ or Why faculty members resist the summative peer review of teaching. Session presented at the Annual Winter Conference of the Educational Developers Caucus of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education, Halifax, Canada.

Photo: ICED 2010

Photo: ICED 2010

For conference presentations prior to 2012, see here.

Photo credit: UBC Cherry Blossom by Roddy Keetch (CC BY)