About Me

I am Karthik Pattabiraman, an assistant associate professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada. I received my PhD in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), where I worked with Ravi Iyer and Zbigniew Kalbarczyk in the DEPEND research group from 2004 to 2009. I received an MS in Computer Science also from UIUC working with Dan Reed in the Pablo Group, from 2001 to 2004. I’ve also been a post-doctoral researcher at Microsoft Research (Redmond) working with Ben Zorn in the Research in Software Engineering (RiSE) group (in 2009).

I was awarded the NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) in 2015 (ece website), and the William Carter Award at DSN’08. Together with my students, I have won best paper (or runner up) awards in conferences such as ICST’13, ICSE’14 and EDCC’15. I initiated and led the Flikker project at Microsoft Research, which was one of the first papers in the field of what is now known as “approximate computing” or “good enough computing” (a term that I coined in a talk). I am a member of the IFIP Working Group (WG) 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault-tolerance, and a member of the Steering committee of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Conference on Dependable Computing (PRDC). I regularly serve on the Program/Organizing Committees of conferences such as the IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE), and the IEEE International Symposium on High Assurance System Engineering (HASE). I am a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.), a Senior member of the IEEE, and a member of the ACM and Usenix.

Announcement (Updated: April 2016)
I have an open post-doc position in the area of error resilience to start in Fall 2016. If you’re interested, contact me with your CV

Research Interests and Selected Recent Publications:

Error Resilient Applications [DSN’16][ISSRE’15][DSN’15][TECS][CASES’14][DSN’14A][DSN’14B][TR][ISPASS’14][DSN’13][DSN’12][TC][ASPLOS’11]
Web application Reliability [ICST’16][ICSE’16][TOSEM][ASE’15][ICSE’15][ECOOP’15][ICST’15][ICSE’14A][ICSE’14B][TSE][ASE’14][MSR’14][ESEM’13][ICST’13][ICST’12][ISSRE’11]
Smart Devices Security [EDCC’15][HASE’14][WRAITS’12][CSF’11][JCS]

Curriculum Vitae (last updated: April, 2016)

Publications Google Scholar DBLP

Research Statement

Guest Co-Editor

I’m guest co-editing a special issue of the IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (TDSC) on “Data driven Dependability and Security“. The submission deadline is Nov 16, 2016. Please submit your best papers.

Research Sponsors: Our research is generously supported by: