About Me

I am Karthik Pattabiraman, an associate professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada (also affiliated with the CS department) . I received my PhD in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), where I worked with Ravi Iyer and Zbigniew Kalbarczyk in the DEPEND research group from 2004 to 2009. I received an MS in Computer Science also from UIUC working with Dan Reed in the Pablo Group, from 2001 to 2004. I’ve also been a post-doctoral researcher at Microsoft Research (Redmond) working with Ben Zorn in the Research in Software Engineering (RiSE) group (in 2009).

I was awarded the UBC Killam Faculty Research Fellowship in 2016 (ece website), NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) in 2015 (ece website), and the William Carter Award at DSN’08. Together with my students, I have won best paper (or runner up) awards in conferences such as ICST’13, ICSE’14 and EDCC’15, EDCC’16. I initiated and led the Flikker project at Microsoft Research, which was one of the first papers in the field of what is now known as “approximate computing” or “good enough computing” (a term that I coined in a talk). I am a member of the IFIP Working Group (WG) 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault-tolerance, and a member of the Steering committee of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Conference on Dependable Computing (PRDC). I regularly serve on the Program/Organizing Committees of conferences such as the IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), and the IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE). I am a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in the province of British Columbia, a Senior member of IEEE, and a member of ACM and Usenix.

Announcement (Updated: October 2017)
Grad I have MASc and PhD positions open for September 2018. Please read this page before contacting me. I will reply to your mail only if you follow the instructions there.

Co-op I have 2 co-op positions open for UBC undergraduate students in my group. Please find the job posting here. Applications from non-UBC students will not be entertained.

Research Interests and Selected Recent Publications (from 2011):

Error Resilient Applications [SC’17]HPDC’17][DSN’17][ICST’17][TECS][SC’16][DSN’16][TPDS][ISSRE’15][DSN’15][TECS][CASES’14][DSN’14A][DSN’14B][TR][ISPASS’14][DSN’13][DSN’12][ASPLOS’11]
Web applications [ASE’17][TSE][ICST’16][ICSE’16][TOSEM][ASE’15][ICSE’15][ECOOP’15][ICST’15][ICSE’14A][ICSE’14B][TSE][ASE’14][MSR’14][ESEM’13][ICST’13][ICST’12][ISSRE’11]
IoT Security [FSE’17][ACSAC’16][EDCC’15][HASE’14]

Curriculum Vitae (last updated: November 2017)

Publications
Google Scholar DBLP

Research Statement

Research Sponsors: Our research is generously supported by:

Research Collaborators (other than the above):