About

I am an assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada, since January 2010. I received my PhD in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), where I worked with Ravi Iyer and Zbigniew Kalbarczyk in the DEPEND research group from 2004 to 2009. I received an MS in Computer Science also from UIUC working with Dan Reed in the Pablo Group, from 2001 to 2004. I’ve also been a post-doctoral researcher at Microsoft Research (Redmond) working with Ben Zorn in the Research in Software Engineering (RiSE) group (in 2009).

I was awarded the NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) in 2015, an ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished paper award at ICSE’14, and the William Carter Award at DSN’08. I am a member of the IFIP Working Group (WG) 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault-tolerance, and a member of the Steering committee of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Conference on Dependable Computing (PRDC). I am also a licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in British Columbia, and a member of the IEEE, ACM and Usenix.

Research Interests and Selected Recent Publications:

1. Error Resilient Applications [DSN’15][CASES’14][DSN’14A][DSN’14B][TR][ISPASS’14][DSN’13]
  2. Web application Reliability [ICSE’15][ECOOP’15][ICSE’14A][ICSE’14B][TSE][ASE’14][ESEM’13]
  3. Smart Devices Security [HASE’14]
  4. Cloud Reliability Studies [ISSRE’14]

Curriculum Vitae (last updated: Apr 2, 2015) (Contact me for CV in the standard UBC format).

Publications (since 2010) Google Scholar DBLP

Research Statement (October 2014): An overview of my research interests and directions.

Announcement for prospective Students (Updated: March 2015)

I do not have any openings in my group at this time. Please check back in September 2015 to see if I have any openings for 2016. Here is what I look for in prospective students.

Research Sponsors: Our research is generously supported by: