About Me

I am Karthik Pattabiraman, an assistant professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada, since January 2010. I received my PhD in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), where I worked with Ravi Iyer and Zbigniew Kalbarczyk in the DEPEND research group from 2004 to 2009. I received an MS in Computer Science also from UIUC working with Dan Reed in the Pablo Group, from 2001 to 2004. I’ve also been a post-doctoral researcher at Microsoft Research (Redmond) working with Ben Zorn in the Research in Software Engineering (RiSE) group (in 2009).

I was awarded the NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) in 2015, and the William Carter Award at DSN’08. Together with my students, I have won best paper (or runner up) awards in conferences such as ICST’13, ICSE’14 and EDCC’15. I am a member of the IFIP Working Group (WG) 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault-tolerance, and a member of the Steering committee of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Conference on Dependable Computing (PRDC). I am a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in British Columbia, a Senior member of the IEEE (since 2015), and a member of the ACM and Usenix associations.

Research Interests and Selected Recent Publications:

Error Resilient Applications [DSN’15][TECS][CASES’14][DSN’14A][DSN’14B][TR]
[ISPASS’14][DSN’13][DSN’12][TC][ASPLOS’11]
Web application Reliability [ASE’15][ICSE’15][ECOOP’15][ICST’15][ICSE’14A][ICSE’14B][TSE]
[ASE’14][MSR’14][ESEM’13][ICST’13][ICST’12][ISSRE’11]
Smart Devices Security [EDCC’15][HASE’14][WRAITS’12][CSF’11][JCS]
Cloud Reliability Studies [ISSRE’14][RSDA’14]

Curriculum Vitae (last updated: Jun 6, 2015)

Publications Google Scholar DBLP

Research Statement(October 2014)

Teaching

I’ll be teaching a course titled “Building Modern Web Applications” in Term 1 2015. You can find a flyer about the course here.

Announcement for prospective Students (Updated: March 2015)

I do not have any openings in my group at this time. Please check back in September 2015 to see if I have any openings for 2016. Here is what I look for in prospective students.

Research Sponsors: Our research is generously supported by: