About Me

I am Karthik Pattabiraman, an associate professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada (since 2010). I received my PhD in 2009 in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC), where I worked with Ravi Iyer and Zbigniew Kalbarczyk in the DEPEND research group. I received an MS in Computer Science also from UIUC in 2004, working with Dan Reed, and my B.Tech from Madras University, India, in 2001. Before joining UBC, I was a post-doctoral researcher at Microsoft Research (Redmond) working with Ben Zorn in the Research in Software Engineering (RiSE) group in 2009.

I was awarded the Inaugural Rising Star in Dependability Award in 2020 (UBC Story, UIUC CSL story), UIUC CS department’s distinguished alumnus award in 2018 (ece website), UBC Killam Faculty Research Prize in 2018 (ece website), UBC Killam Faculty Research Fellowship in 2016 (ece website), NSERC Discovery Accelerator Supplement (DAS) in 2015 (ece website), and the William Carter Award (UIUC CSL story) in 2008. Together with my students, I have won best paper (or runner up) awards in venues such as ICST’13, ICSE’14, EDCC’15, EDCC’16 and DSN’18, TECS 2020, and impact paper award at ISSRE’14 (ece website). I initiated and led the Flikker project at Microsoft Research, which was one of the first papers in the field of what is now known as “approximate computing” or “good enough computing” (a term that I coined in a talk). I am a member of the IFIP Working Group (WG) 10.4 on Dependable Computing and Fault-tolerance (vice-chair from 2019), and a member of the Steering committee of the IEEE Pacific Rim International Conference on Dependable Computing (PRDC). I regularly serve on the Program/Organizing Committees of conferences such as the IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), and the IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE), including PC co-chair for both conferences in 2019 and 2017 respectively. I am a licensed Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in British Columbia, a Senior member of the IEEE and the ACM, and a member of Usenix.

New I’m listed in the DSN conference’s Hall of Fame (only Canadian researcher)

Recent Student Achievements (Updated: June 2020)

Research Interests and Selected Publications (in the last 5 years):

Error Resilient Applications and Fault Injection [TDSC][ISSRE’20A][ISSRE’20B][SC’20][DSN’20][TDSC][ISSRE’19][SC’19][ICS’19][DSN’18A][DSN’18B][SC’17][HPDC’17][DSN’17][ICST’17][TECS][SC’16][DSN’16][TPDS][ISSRE’15][DSN’15]
Web Applications Reliability & IoT Security [DTRAP][ISSTA’20][ACSAC’19][SAC’19][TECS][ICSE’18][ECOOP’18][FSE’17][ASE’17][TSE][ACSAC’16][ICST’16][ICSE’16][TOSEM][ASE’15][ICSE’15][ECOOP’15]

Curriculum Vitae (last updated: October 2020)
Research Summary (last updated: November 2019)

Publications (2010 onwards)
Google Scholar DBLP

Research Sponsors: Our research is generously supported by:

Research Collaborators (other than the above):