HELLO, PLEASE NOTE THIS SITE HAS BEEN ARCHIVED AND THE CONTENT HAS BEEN RE-POSTED ON MY NEW SITE HERE:
EDUCATION + SELECT COURSEWORK
Honours Bachelor of Arts – Urban Geography and GIS – University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, BC. (9/2005-8/2009)
- GEOG 310 Environmental and Resource Geography
- GEOG 373 Remote Sensing and GIS
- GEOG 345 Theory and Practice of Geography
- GEOG 374 Statistics for Geography
- GEOG 350 Urban Geography
- GEOG 450 Urban Analysis
- GEOG 361 Economic Geography
- GEOG 457 Social Geography of the City
- GEOG 372 Advanced Cartography
- VISA 180/3 Visual Art Studios I & II
Additional Training Courses
- Emergency First Aid & CPR C/AED – Canadian Red Cross – 8 hours (2/2013)
- Nordic Pole Walking Instructor Certification – Nordixx Canada – 8 hours (2/2013)
- LEED Green Building Core Concepts and Strategies – UBC Robson Square – 35 hours (1-3/2011)
- HTML for Web Design – UBC Robson Square – 6 hours (11/2010)
- Introduction to Python Computer Programming – UBC Robson Square – 15 hours (10-11/2010)
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE + COMMUNITY SERVICE
GIS Specialist + Cartographer – Golder Associates, Sustainable Communities Group (Formerly HB Lanarc) Vancouver, BC. (5/2012-Present)
Developed a value-added consulting practice by listening to client needs, setting project goals, effectively managing complex spatial databases, applying advanced analysis tools, and creating compelling reports and visual products.
Demonstrated skill conducting local and regional scale land development analysis based on linked datasets such as parcel-scale zoning information, assessed land values, socio-demographic patterns and trends, network-based proximity calculations to community amenities.
Recognized ability to deliver high-quality results on short notice while managing multiple priorities.
Mentor – Connecting Environmental Professionals – Vancouver, BC. (10/2012-Present)
Developed curriculum for bi-monthly mentorship meetings focused on personal value identification, goal setting and networking strategies.
Member – Healthy Built Environment Alliance – Vancouver, BC. (8/2010-Present)
Worked in collaboration with the Provincial Health Services Authority and 20+ partners to integrate public health priorities into planning practices across BC and participated in development of a logic model, terms of reference, key principals and data sharing standards.
GIS Analyst + Cartographer – Human Early Learning Partnership – UBC, BC. (4/2008-4/2012)
Prioritized and executed core project activities including stakeholder consultations, data discovery, geodatabase maintenance, geocoding, spatial analysis, map production and public presentation.
Led priority research projects investigating the relationship between human health and local socio-economic patterns and trends, land use compositions, street walkability, air-quality, and network-based proximity to fresh food retailers and social services.
Technical Educator – Lululemon Athletica on West 4th – Vancouver, BC. (8/2009-1/2010)
Worked as part of a team to exceed daily and monthly sales targets and participated in numerous community events including yoga classes and running clinics.
Consultant – Geospatial Data Visualization Projects – Vancouver, BC. (1/2010-1/2012)
Independently planned, managed and delivered 10+ contract GIS mapping projects for diverse academic, corporate and municipal clients with a total value over $5,000.
Volunteer – Walk21 Conference on Walking and Livable Communities – Vancouver, BC. (10/2011)
Worked with a team of over 20 volunteers to coordinate venue setup and participant registration.
Member – UBC Sustainability Academic Strategy Working Group – Vancouver, BC. (4-12/2009)
Represented student interests and presented key recommendations to UBC Student Council on how to strategically integrate the three pillars of sustainability into UBC Operations & Administration, Teaching & Learning, and Research & Partnerships and a motion of unanimous support was passed.
Wilderness Canoe Guide – North Waters Education Program – Temagami, ON. (6/2006-9/2007)
Lead youth groups on 21-day wilderness expeditions and promoted a strong team environment of trust, acceptance and inspiration
Geomatics Canada Scholarship – $2000 – Government of Canada (2/2009)
Women’s Club Memorial Prize for Cartography – $800 – UBC Dept. of Geography (8/2008)
PRESENTATIONS + PUBLICATIONS
An Ecological Model of Human Health through a Cartographic Lens – Pecha Kucha style presentation at the BC Society of Landscape Architects Annual Conference (04/2013)
A Service-Based Remoteness Index of BC – Poster presentation at the 7th International GEOMED conference on spatial statistics and geomedical systems – Victoria, BC. (10/2011)
Mapping the Population Distribution of BC – Oral presentation at the 4th International Cartography Association’s workshop on Spatial Analysis and Measurement – Vancouver, BC. (8/2011)
Linking Urban Planning and Public Health to Improve Early Human Development – Sole author of publication in ‘Trail Six: An Undergraduate Journal of Geography’ (9/2010)
Applying GWR and LISA Techniques to Improve Analysis of Neighbourhood-Scale EDI Data Across BC – Oral presentation at the Human Early Learning Research Retreat – Vancouver, BC. (6/2010)
Our Children’s Voices: The Middle Years Development Instrument – Measuring Children’s Developmental Health and Well-Being – Co-author of United Way publication (9/2010)
The Use of Population-Level Data to Advance Interdisciplinary Methodology: A Cell-Through-Society Sampling Framework for Child Development Research – Co-author of publication in the International Journal of Social Research (4/2010)
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- CUTA Leading The Way Youth Summit on Sustainable Transportation – Calgary, AB. (05/2013)
- BC Society of Landscape Architects Annual Conference – Vancouver, BC. (04/2013)
- ESRI Canada GIS Users Conference – Vancouver, BC. (11/2012)
- Population Data BC’s Population Health Data Analysis Conference – Vancouver, BC. (2/2012)
- Walk21 Conference on Walking and Livable Communities – Vancouver, BC. (10/2011)
- GLOBE Conference for Emerging Environmental Leaders – Vancouver, BC. (6/2010)
- Population Data BC’s Administrative Data Conference – Vancouver, BC. (9/2009)
- Population Data BC’s Health Geomatics Workshop – Victoria, BC. (8/2009)
- CARTO Annual Conference of the Canadian Cartography Association – Vancouver, BC. (5/2008)
- Expert use of ESRI ArcGIS 10.1 for complex spatial data analysis and visualization including proven application of Spatial and Network Analyst extensions, Toolbox functions and Model Builder.
- Skilled use of R, Excel, SPSS, Tableau, GEODA, Google Earth and SketchUp, GeoPinpoint
- Working knowledge of Python for scripting and HTML for web-based design.
- Advanced use of DSLR camera equipment for photography and video recording complemented by use of Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro and Photoshop for editing.
- Strategic use of social media, web-surveys and analytics for community engagement and evaluation.
- Sophisticated use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Access and Google Docs.
- Innovative use of Adobe Illustrator and InDesign for superior cartography and graphic design.
- Urban design: living buildings, sustainable transportation, community gardening, public space.
- Physical activity: triathlon, road cycling, running, hiking, snowboarding and yoga.
- Art: photography, painting and sculpture.
- Social Media and Blogging: connect with me @anthonynsmith and blogs.ubc.ca/maps.