Vancouver Community Gardens & Food Trees

HELLO, PLEASE NOTE THIS SITE HAS BEEN ARCHIVED AND THE CONTENT HAS BEEN RE-POSTED ON MY NEW SITE HERE:

http://healthycitymaps.blogspot.com/2013/11/vancouver-community-gardens-food-trees.html

——————————————————————————————-

This interactive map shows the locations and attributes of community gardens and food trees in the City of Vancouver. While these community food assets are located within city boundaries, and some on City of Vancouver and Park Board lands, the vast majority of these locations are not administered by the CoV. This dataset was downloaded from the City of Vancouver’s Open Data Portal on July 15, 2012.

Please remember that lots of love and hard work goes into growing food so please do not remove food from a community garden plot without permission from the owner! I am a member of Cypress Community Garden and we were very sad to loose some rhubarb last month. If you would like to learn more about locally grown food, just ask…in my experience most gardeners are happy to talk about their crop and might even be willing to offer you a taste!

CLICK HERE FOR FULLSCREEN MAP

This entry was posted in Data Visualization, Environment, Food, Interactive, Open Data, Public Health. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Vancouver Community Gardens & Food Trees

1. Jason says:

So, why isn’t the MOBY garden on the map? It was the very first community garden in the City of Vancouver to work with Social and City Planning and was the first 40 plots counted towards Vision’s 2010 garden plots by 2010 initiative. There have continually been 40 members growing food there for years.

2. Great question Jason, you are correct that MOBY was misplaced. Long story short there was a hidden text character in the address field so the geocoder did not recognize the address and actually placed MOBY at the centre of the City of Vancouver! I have fixed this problem and double checked for other errors. I was happy to zoom in a look at MOBY using Google imagery – it looks like a very wonderful garden tucked in right next to the SkyTrain : ) Happy Gardening!

3. Pamela Zevit says:

Is there an Android app coming soon to look this up on the road? I know there is a website with the fruit trees located http://blog.foodtree.com/2012/01/26/fruit-trees-lining-the-streets-of-vancouver-mapped-thanks-to-open-data/
    But it only has an iPhone app 🙁 I guess I could store the url on my favourites but an app is a lot better!

4. Pingback: Vancouver Community Gardens and Food Trees Interactive Map — City Farmer News

5. Ingrid says:

Wow, look at all of those gardens! It’s important to note that different gardens have different policies about who’s permitted to access the produce – Community gardens produce food for the community of gardeners who tend the plots and common areas, not necessarily the community in which they’re located. This misunderstanding can lead to frustration and disappointment on the part of individual gardeners who discover that their eagerly-awaited crop has been harvested by someone else.

6. Hi Pamela, I do not have any current plans to make an android app, but this is a great idea…i would like to collect photos and stories about each garden/tree so perhaps there is a way to build that function into an app. Anyone interested in partnering with me on the please let me know! In the meantime, I have used this map on my android phone and it mostly works just fine so long as you have a wireless or data connection. Happy Gardening! A.

7. Thanks for this Ingrid, I am grateful for this comment and I completely agree it is very sad when things you grown and love go missing from a plot. We had some rhubarb taken from our plot in Cypress Garden last month : (

8. Jason O’Brien says:

Thanks Anthony, that’s awesome!