About

I am a Professor of Education at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. Originally from the Carolinas, I taught pre-school, high school, and university in North Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, New York, and Kentucky prior to joining the faculty at UBC.

I teach and write about the politics of curriculum, critical pedagogy, social studies education, and academic labor. I am interested in the influence of social, political, and institutional contexts on teachers’ practice. My research and teaching focus on the role of curriculum and teaching in building democratic communities that are positioned to challenge the priorities and interests of neoliberal capitalism as manifest in educational and social policies that shape both formal and informal education experiences.

In recent years, my principal research interests have been the influence of the educational standards and high-stakes testing movements on curriculum and teaching. Investigating the surveillance-based and spectacular conditions of postmodern schools and society my aim has been to develop a radical critique of schooling as social control and a collection of strategies that can be used disrupt and resist the conforming, anti-democratic, anti-collective, and oppressive potentialities of schooling, practices I describe as dangerous citizenship.

YouTube Preview Image