Apr 2 / Anne Cheng

Don’t Give Up On What You Want

I just got back my 2nd marketing midterm exam mark yesterday…  I thought I did so well on it, but it turned out that I didn’t do well. And now I feel so bummed because I had studied twice as hard for this second midterm and ended up with practically the same grade as the first time time AND I even recently decided that marketing was the best option for me :(. So since I am not in the mood to write about some really cool marketing things, I have decided to dedicate this post to a few McDonald’s products that have failed (adapted from Top 10 Failed McDonald’s Products – Xanthius does a great job of injecting his/her fun personality in this post!).

Mac4.JpgMcLobster

Now really, maybe this would have worked in Europe where they enjoy a more leisure lifestyle and maybe have a pricier tasting palette. But who wants to spend $5.99 on a fast food burger! Why you fail? PPPrice!

4.JpgNext is Hulaburger.

That disgusting thing inside is a pineapple. Yuk! But there is a story behind this one. Hulaburger was a famous burger of Ray Krok’s (the guy who turned McDonald’s from its small comings to today’s mega-franchise). This burger was introduced in 1963 aimed at Roman Catholics who were forbidden to eat meat on Fridays. How hard is it to stay away from burgers once a week?!

Mcafrica.Jpg Lastly, McAfrica!

This was one of the most tragic marketing fails for McDonald’s. They lauched the McAfrica during the a time when widespread famine in Africa was all over the news! Who would want to buy a McAfrica to feel guilty and selfish while eating it? Why you fail? Wrong timing!!

To conclude this post about failing, here’s a quote from George Moen, “The person does not fail, the business does.” So for those marketers at McDonald’s, don’t feel like you have failed, you guys just made a bad decision. And for my fellow classmates who did not do so well on their exams, I say to you, “The person does not fail, your grades do.” But so what? Continue chasing after what you want and you will be rewarded. As for me, I will continue going after my marketing gig 🙂

Mar 28 / Anne Cheng

Shamrock Shake It!

The McDonald’s Shamrock Shake is back and its a sure sign that spring is back with us! Actually, it’s the first time I’ve heard of McD’s Shamrock Shakes. But the first thing I though was “Oh cool!” and then I thought “Ew.. looks kind of nasty” and so I never tried one. It is “a mint flavored, green-dyed vanilla milkshake, is a seasonal dessert sold at McDonald’s during March to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day”. 

Shamrock Shake was first introduced in 1970. “It all began with a little girl, a football team, and a visionary doctor.” (said on the McDonald’s website) And basic story goes like this — There was a football player’s daughter who was diagnosed with leukemia and began treatment. That family realized that many family’s like them had to camp out in waiting rooms while their family members were receiving treatment. So the family and the team decided to raise some funds, called up a friend who worked in McDonald’s advertising and suggested the team for the next promotional push. It just so happened to be St. Patrick’s Day. The Shamrock Shake raised enough money to buy a four-story house which was the first Ronald McDonald House Charity.
Story from: Wikipedia  – Shamrock Shake

I might now go get a Shamrock Shake after knowing that it has a symbolic meaning behind it. So I really think that having a story behind a product really allows for products to sell, sometimes even if they aren’t very good products. It’s the story that the customers buy.

McDonald’s clever marketing promotion to play off of Chicago’s annual green dying of the river for St. Patrick’s Day! A great way to catch people’s attention — not to mention Dramatic!

Pictures courtesy of Rindert Dalstra’s post on CreativeCriminals.

Mar 24 / Anne Cheng

XXI Forever – Richmond Centre

So I’ve just added Tracy Chan as my friend on my marketing blog. And I came across her Jan 23 post about Forever 21 opening in Richmond Centre. I was definately excited about it when I first heard about that news. I mean seriously, like Tracy said. Who wants to go all the way from Richmond to Metrotown for some new clothes?! Now this also brings up “location, location, location”. Opening a Forever 21 in Richmond Centre is great for the customers, the Richmond Centre (RC) shopping mall and for Forever 21. Too bad for those stores like, as Tracy said again, Bluenotes and Sirens who are not doing so well. I’m sure many of you who shop at RC also have noticed A LOT of stores being relocated! I guess they are making way for the bigger stores, like Zara is rumoured to be moving into RC! *very excited!* So this brings up a question about supply chain management (SCM). In marketing class, we’ve read about how Zara has one of the best SCM in the apparel industry – very efficient! I’m definate that Forever 21 also has a very similarily efficient SCM as Zara does. How else would Forever 21 be able to have new styles of clothing every week in-store?! Like Zara, their SCM efficiency is most likely what allows Forever 21 to demand low sales prices from their customers, yet still adding value to customers by offering a variety (with their different lines, such as Forever 21, Love 21, Heritage, and mens line) of trendy clothing and accessories.

Mar 23 / Anne Cheng

Typo9rAphy Ad5!

You know those ads with a lot of stylish writing, something like this…

Ad taken from Beautiful & Creative Typography Print Ads blog.

These ads are called typography ads. Not only is it interesting to figure out what the heck they are saying, but I also believe that these companies are very successful in making people aware of their ad. I maybe spend around at leat 20 seconds trying to read the message, and then I go look around on the poster to see who was advertising this. The main purpose of these ads is for firms to get people to be aware of their ad. Another great thing about using typography ads is that there can also be illustrations used to enhance the main message. In the ad above, there are little heads with sad face, stick figures jumping off the “S” and train tracks. Another observation is that ads that have writing fonts similar to our daily writing style seems to capture my attention more. Maybe that is because I feel that the writing style is more consistent with what I’m used to reading (for example, when I proofread my own writing). With all these good things said about typography ads, firms should also be careful not to over-clutter or put too much small font writing into such ads – this may have a reverse affect and cause people not to want to read the ad.

Mar 15 / Anne Cheng

Trend of Exams via the Internet – Sauder Edition

The Internet is definately a big topic in marketing. For instance, in our marketing textbook, there are several sections thoughout the book dedicated to “The Power of the Internet”. It is always important for firms to be innovative to add value to their products and services. Consumers love to use innovative technology like the Internet because it makes everything they do much more convenient!

In Rob’s post in the Sauder Technology Bleeding Edge Club blog, he blogged about the successful Comm 293 Midterm exam for 570 students that was hosted online. I have personally never taken an online exam like this before, but would like to get a chance to try it out. From what I have heard about the Comm 293 (Financial Accounting) online exam, some of the major issue that students encountered was the time-consuming process of putting “zero’s” into the spaces where, for example, the “overtime hours” was not applicable. If there was no “zero” in that box, a mark was deducted. I can also relate to the issue with time management when working on Lyryx Learning Inc. (an online assignment software); it is also very time consuming to click “enter” and then click into the next box that I want to fill-in. During an exam, time management is critical, and in my opinion, using the Internet to host a numerical exam seems to be inefficient in a student’s point-of-view (but probably very time-friendly for the markers!). But there are definately certain course’s exams that have the potential to being hosted via the Internet (discussed next).

Rob also praises the idea of taking advantage of the Internet and predicts that all of Sauder’s exams will be fully online 2 years from now. I also admit that the Internet a great invention, but I also believe that not EVERYTHING is best done via the Internet! Some things like accounting exams (or any exams that allow for part marks in the work), do not seem best marked on a online exam that only requires for the answers (and very little work).

Suggestions: Try the HR exams online because, from experience, it was VERY writing intensive. And I’m sure that we type faster on a keyboard. That way you can actually mark us on our knowledge and not let that be affected my cramping hands!

Anyway, my point is that not all exams are best taking via the Internet. Some exams like accounting are not suitable via the Internet, but some like Human Resources are. Sauder must take into consideration of its students (consumers) when developing new products and methods of teaching. Doing this will add much value to students’ learning and experiences at Sauder and truly drive Sauder in leading innovative teaching in an efficient way.

Mar 5 / Anne Cheng

The Future of Starbucks’ Logo

Picture from here.

I found this picture so funny. It is very interesting to see company logos evolving over time. I would have thought that logos should not change because it represents the company and so if they changed it an issue that may arise would be people not recognizing it anymore. But after thinking a bit deeper, it would be okay to alter it every 10 years, like Starbucks has done. Updating a logo to make it more appealing to the current generation is actually quite smart. They don’t have to worry about their existing customers not recognizing the logo (since they are already customers!). In fact, they can attract a new generation of customers! I also remember Tamar (my marketing teacher) saying that simplifying company names (General Motors –> GM) may take away from the company’s mission or the whole meaning behind the company. For starbucks, the iconic mermaid may mean something to what Starbucks is trying to represent. If that was reduced down to a big green dot, all meaning behind what Starbucks is trying to represent will be gone from the logo. Anyway, I’m prettyyy sure Starbuck’s logo will not end up as a green dot in 2041. But who am I to say, maybe the future generation will find that attractive. I guess we’ll just have to wait 30 more years to see!

Feb 21 / Anne Cheng

FREE APP! Limited Time!

Hey guys! So I guess this is a timely matter. So hopefully you see this post soon~

Microsoft has a free app called Microsoft OneNote for the iPhone, iTouch, (and iPad, according to iTunes). GO DOWNLOAD IT NOW!

Have you ever made a ‘To-Do List’ on your iPhone using that default Notepad? and it sucks because you can’t put checkmarks or do much with it…. not that I always follow my lists, but just sayin’. Here’s a preview of what OneNote looks has to offer.

iPhone Screenshot 5 Screenshots taken from iTunes and iFans blog [OneNote Makes its Way to iOS].

Jonathan Kizer, who blogged about OneNote on iFans, stated that “OneNote is now on iOS, and it’s… well, it’s OK”. Microsoft worked with OneNote to develop this app for 18-24months. Despite that time at work, Kizer voiced that it is “pretty disappointing” that the resolutions of the app were not up to par. But on the happy  note, “the app functions well… and will definately make users of OneNote on the PC happy”.

P.S. I am having troubles finding it on the Apps Store, so I haven’t gotten a chance to try it 🙁  So help me out and tell me if you have found and downloaded it! I don’t want to miss out on the free app!!

Feb 3 / Anne Cheng

Catching up with technology

Recently, I purchased a gaming mouse for my friend who just started gaming. I went to Memory Express with my boyfriend and we walked to the mouse aisle. I just followed him since he knew what he was looking for. As for me, I had no idea there were such things as gaming mice; I thought all mice were the same!

I was looking at recent posts and found Justin Ko’s “Razar — A Mischief of Mice”. https://blogs.ubc.ca/justinko/2011/02/02/razer-a-mischief-of-mice/

Taken from Justin Ko’s “Razar — A Mischief of Mice” blog post.

Razar, was exactly the brand of gaming mouse I purchased for that friend. Justin’s post talks about how the BCG Matrix applied to Razar with its different types of mice belonging to stars, cash cows, question marks, or dogs. This got me thinking.

If technology is increasing at this rapid pace, does that mean that the products in Razar’s BCG Matrix are moving around it at a similar pace?

I think that is the case because technological devices such as laptops, mice, cameras, TV’s, etc. will not always remain as stars (high market growth and high relative share). More advance technology will be introduced and the stars products will no longer have the high market growth. Eventually, the question marks will shift to become stars as the company realizes the high market growth and invests more money into that product. The cash cows may become question marks if the money invested in the product and its marketing are effective. And the dogs will shift out of the matrix.

Like how the sales associate explained the different types of Razar mouse to us, he told us a comparison of the 4 different Razar mice available. The evaluation criteria included wireless, speed and sensitivity, shape, and price. The one we eventually bought was the one that was not the star (b/c that was the most expensive one), nor was it the oldest version (b/c its technological specs were the least developed). We bought one of the ones inbetween, which was probably the question mark.

Jan 26 / Anne Cheng

Ah.. the things you do for marketing class

Last Friday when I was getting off the bus at Bridgeport Station, I was greeted by this Starbucks ad.

I quickly looked and read it as I hustled towards the escalator. Thoughts ran through my mind, “Hm, I didn’t know that Starbucks was that environmentally friendly.. Oo I can save 10 cents if I bring my mug in next time.” And then I thought, “Wow, this is exactly like what we learned in class about cognitive, affective, and behavioural components of attitude.”

So, I stopped walking, turned around, and whipped out my IPhone to take a picture of it. Mannnn, did I feel like a dork. Ah.. the things you do for marketing class.

Anyway, the Starbucks ad fulfills all 3 components of attitude:

Cognitive – It made me aware that Starbucks cares about the environment and encourages their customers to care too.
Affective – The statement “One person can save trees. Together we can save forests.” makes me feel that I can make a difference and with other people, can make an even bigger difference saving the environment.
*Note: Also very suitable to put this ad on a bicycle rack so that the eco-friendly people who ride their bikes will see it.
Behavioural – It told me to bring a reuseable mug to save 10 cents.

My attitude about Starbucks prior to seeing this ad was just neutral. I didn’t understand why some people are such loyal customers of Starbucks eventhough most coffees taste the same. But after seeing the ad, I realized that Starbucks is very successful at differentiating themselves from other coffee shops; they have VARIETY (holiday drinks, super yummy whipped cream, frappacinos) and now, they are attracting eco-friendly customers as well as customers who value variety and unique drinks.

Jan 11 / Anne Cheng

Genius IKEA campaign

During March and December 2010, IKEA came up with a genious advertising strategy. They brought the living space to the people of Paris by transforming bus shelters and sub platforms into living rooms. I think this is a good example of promotion in the marketing mix (4 P’s).

Product – IKEA’s business idea is to “create a better everyday life for the many people”, adding value with the variety of product styles

Price – low price so many people can afford it

Place – IKEA furniture can be purchased at their store or conveniently online

Promotion – because of the high traffic area at the bus shelters and sub platform, this campaign allows manyyy people to try out the couches; creating a “better everyday life” for the people waiting to take public transportation; this is a very smart idea because these are the people that IKEA want as consumers

ikea paris23 IKEA Subway Display in Paris : An Insane Idea or A Genius Promotion Campaign?

ikea IKEA Subway Display in Paris : An Insane Idea or A Genius Promotion Campaign?

ikea bus shelters Freshome06.jpg IKEA Parisian Saga Continues with 12 Bus Shelters Turned into Livingrooms

ikea bus shelters Freshome11.jpg IKEA Parisian Saga Continues with 12 Bus Shelters Turned into Livingrooms