- Is this assessment intended to help students learn? (i.e., see formative assessment)
- If it is intended to help learning, consider the importance of providing feedback
- Is this assessment intended to measure student ability or learning ? (i.e., see summative assessment )
- If it is to measure learning, how does it contribute towards the course grade?
- How does this assessment and its elements align with the learning outcomes you are trying to assess?
- Does the assessment align with the course-level learning outcomes?
- Do individual assessment elements/questions align with detailed-level learning outcomes?
- How will the assessment be conducted?
- Does it need to be an exam, or would another approach work?
- How will students access and complete the assessment?
- Have you considered the student resources and time required, and any related issues of equity?
- How are you ensuring validity and reliability?
- Will the assessment results allow you to draw accurate conclusions about student learning? (i.e., validity)
- How will you ensure consistency in grading? (i.e., reliability)
- Have you considered using a rubric to help graders and to enhance validity and reliability?
- How do you plan to communicate academic integrity expectations of the assessment to students?
- If the assessment is being used for generating grades, what additional strategies do you have in place to identify and mitigate academic misconduct?
- What hardware and other resources are needed to complete the assessment?
- For you?
- For students?
- For TAs?
- Have you considered using a rubric to communicate expectations for completing the assessment?
- When will the assessment…
- Instructions or details be available to students?
- Be completed by students?
- Graded or evaluated?
- Feedback be returned to students?
- How will student questions regarding the assessment be answered? (e.g. how can students seek clarification on the assessment task?)
- Who will be grading or evaluating the assessments?
- Are the assessment results needed for accreditation? If so, have you reviewed the section on accreditation?
|Previous (Alternatives to Exams)||Next (Academic Integrity Menu)|