At our recent workshop in April, our TAs came up with what they envisioned as their top Best Practices in teaching. And some of them agreed with what’s in literature!
- Showing you care
- Enthusiasm/humour (if natural)
- Creating an approachable learning environment so that students talk to each other and the TA (encourage group work)
- Creating inclusive space (addressing learning styles and diversity)
- Preparation before class (know what students are learning in lecture)
- Reflection about teaching
- Clear expectations (transparent and flexible)
- Feedback to students (consistency is important)
- Helping with process of learning (modeling, asking questions)
- Being aware of/using resources to aid students and yourself
- Time management, both yours and class (meeting with supervisor to discuss)
- Pre and post assessments of students
- Providing context for learning (life examples/your research)
- Making down time productive
What are some of your Best Practices in teaching?