M3 Entry 5: The ATA Library

The Alberta Teacher’s Association Library has some great resources for Indigenous Education. There are collections of student guides, teacher guides, and PD resources on multiple topics (i.g. Orange Shirt Day, Residential Schools, etc.) and some resources specifically for Indigenous Peoples of Alberta. I was paying closer attention to the Foundation Knowledge section where resources are categorized into different subject fields. I am going to be exploring Math and Science pages more to help with the lesson planning part of my final project.

Through the library, I also came across a Google Earth activity called, “Celebrating Indigenous Languages” which I thought was a fantastic way of incorporating technology. It’s very engaging and fun to look around the globe to visualize the places and the diversity of Indigenous languages. It’s also fascinating to hear these languages being spoken by an Indigenous person, which I haven’t had a chance to experience a lot before.

1. What a great find Seo-Whi! Thank you, and now I have a collection of amazing resources to utilize this Fall!

2. This is such a great resource! Thank you, Seo-Whi. I have listened to all the greeting in the Celebrating Indigenous languages resource on Google Earth. I am certain this tool will engage my students and generate curiosity to learn more.