Category Archives: Assignments
For anyone who is interested, here is a written tutorial and bonus mini-assignment on how to compute the PageRank of a graph. You can earn up to 3 course bonus points for this assignment by submitting it online on Gradescope up to 48 hours after the final exam (i.e., by 2:30 PM Thursday).
A few caveats:
- These bonus points are FAR LESS IMPORTANT than your final exam! Do not sacrifice ANY necessary final exam practice/study time OR any necessary rest/relaxation to work on this. Unless you feel 100% confident that you are totally prepared for the exam, do not waste your pre-exam time and energy on this! (Also, if you DO feel 100% confident that you are totally prepared for the exam, you should read this article on the Dunning-Kruger effect before you decide to work on the bonus assignment instead of studying.)
- There is some probability and matrix algebra here, so it’s possible that not everyone will have the necessary background to answer all the questions without struggling a bit.
- Because this assignment is all for bonus points, I won’t provide any help with these questions (because bonus questions are supposed to be a challenge!).
- I will probably not release the solutions to these problems.
- I’ll return the assignments on Gradescope (possibly with feedback), but will not allow any regrade requests (because this is a bonus assignment and because we want to be prompt about submitting final grades).
Here is Assignment #6, due 11 pm on August 11. LaTeX source for the assignment will be posted on Piazza (because UBC blogs doesn’t allow upload of .tex files).
Here is Assignment #5, due 11 pm on August 6. LaTeX source for the assignment will be posted on Piazza (because UBC blogs doesn’t allow upload of .tex files).
In today’s class we’ll work on making our change-making algorithm more efficient using memoization. If we have time, we may also start on a 2D dynamic programming algorithm to compute the longest common substring of two strings.
Announcements for today:
- The midterm exams are graded and the grades have been published on Gradescope.
- Our final exam has been scheduled for 12:00-2:30 pm on Tuesday August 13.
- Assignment 4 has been released and is due on Tuesday.
- Your tutorial quiz is today. It’s based on question 4 of your assignment and will provide a hint to help you with that question.
- Your first reading quiz on NP-completeness is due Sunday night.
Here are today’s clicker questions.
Here is Assignment #4, due 11 pm on July 30. LaTeX source for the assignment will be posted on Piazza (because UBC blogs doesn’t allow upload of .tex files).