Citizenship

Subject: What Every Canadian Should Know

Dear Miss Weinhaus,

I am thrilled to learn that you will be joining our staff for awhile! Hopefully I will be visiting Munich this summer and would love to hear about your life in Germany. As you will come to experience when you spend more time here, we highly value your contributions, your funds of knowledge, to our cultural mosaic.

Every Canadian student who enters our school system should be able to leave it equipped with the right knowledge and skills to become participants in our society. We pride ourselves on our multiculturalism, having been the first country in the world to adopt it into policy in 1971. While there are many flaws and critiques about multiculturalism in Canada, it does not take away from the fact that we are (more or less) ‘multicultural.’ As you will see in our classrooms, there’s a variety of ethnicities and national backgrounds. Our diversity is expansive! Thus, teaching students about our history with the French, British and Aboriginal peoples and how that contributed to our multicultural attitude is pertinent. As well, teaching the current cultural atmosphere is also important, as this will enable the student to navigate socially (i.e. being sensitive to cultural concerns) in our multicultural nation.

It is interesting, Miss Weinhaus, that reflecting on this question I was able to recall an incidence where someone said to me: “If someone doesn’t know who the prime minister is, they shouldn’t call themselves Canadian!” At the time, I wholeheartedly agreed. However now, I realize there are more pressing issues that every Canadian should carry in their knowledge toolbox. The prime minister can change, but what doesn’t change are our core Canadian values. Students must learn the reasons why we hold the values of freedom, equality and respect. Every Canadian must have a great knowledge of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They must know its genesis, how it is has been used, how it is used today and how it can be used. I highly encourage making a Charter of Rights and Freedoms for the classroom, one that outlines the privileges of both the students and the teacher.

While we are lucky to live in a democratic nation, unfortunately a growing issue for Canadians has been political apathy. If you look at our voter turnouts in federal elections—it leaves much to be desired. I envision a future Canada as one with a vibrant civil society and one that takes advantage of its democracy. Thus, every Canadian should know how to be an engaged citizen. This is something to be incorporated and integrated throughout the entire curriculum.

Best of luck, Miss Weinhaus!

Please let me know if you would like further elaboration.
We are looking forward to your arrival!

Sincerely,
Shadi Shakeraneh

This entry was posted in All Student Work 2015, Core Knowledge Archive. Bookmark the permalink.