Home Page

Page

A quick rundown of what is to come.

Over the next four months, we will be working with key concepts and techniques to define the audience and utilize rhetoric in a professional manner; which I feel any university student could benefit from. In my experience, the technical aspects of writing are not taught further than first-year, and yet they are required for all manners of written communication.

As we near the end of our degrees, practical skills become crucial in obtaining and maintaining a position in our chosen vocations. One skill that I look forward to mastering is tailoring my writing based on audience, as our audiences will vastly change outside of the university. The assignments outlined in our syllabus provide valuable opportunities to exercise the concepts and techniques introduced through our text, Technical Communications by John M. Lannon, as well as teach us to write collaboratively as in our careers we may seldom be the only voice contributing to the work.

Accordingly, collaborating is a foundational skill within many workplaces, and to be able to collaborate online with a group of people to create a work is a valuable skill to practice. Accordingly, the techniques we will be learning will also create work we can showcase to an employer as meaningful applied skills. By creating the formal report, building our resume, and presenting the culmination of our best work in an online portfolio, this class operates more so as a crash course to succeed in the workplace, providing us with the assets to obtain the positions we desire.

With all things considered, this course will be pivotal in the success of my future career and networking with fascinating individuals, like yourself.

Morgan Brandt