Human Companion: Darran Fernandez
Name of Pet: Lex
Type/Breed: Unconfirmed – but likely, lab, mixed with a pitty and hound of some sort
Age: 3.5 years

Lex’s favourite pastime: sleeping during the day, chasing squirrels and cats while out for walks, begging for food and using her charm and kisses to melt your heart.

Favourite thing about Lex: she’s fiercely loyal, annoyingly stubborn and can be easily bribed with food. Eerily similar to her human companion.

Interesting facts: (1) when she sits on her bed or the patio, her legs are almost always crossed; (2) she won’t eat baby carrots whole – pieces of 2 or 3, ideal; (3) she has a love/hate relationship with other dogs, while having a love/love relationship with humans

Origin story: Lex was born in Mexico to a mum who was being rescued by Pennies for Dogs, a rescue group run by a friend of a friend. Three months after birth she was adopted by a family in Abbotsford. After having her for just over a year and a half, the family realized that they couldn’t care for her and she made her way to me as a foster puppy parent for Pennies, with the thinking that she will be adopted out. Lexi, at the time, found her way into my home in November of 2015 and then after a month of her finding her way into my heart, I dropped the “i” in her name and adopted her. In the dog fostering world, that’s called a ‘failed foster’.