Image courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaichanvong/

Every morning that the bike commuters roll up to Brock Hall, clad in rain gear and reflective tape, I wonder how they do it.

One sunny summer I rode my bike to Langara every day – about a fifteen minute ride – but, I’ve never quite gathered the gumption to face an hour-long rain-soaked commute, only to encounter that deadly hill leading up to Point Grey at the last.

So, how do they do it? I reached out to five bike commuters, three from the Vancouver campus (Joanna Ludlow, Anne DeWolfe and Nicola Austin) and two from the Okanagan (Carrie Karsgaard and Halyna Petryshyn) to find out. A big thanks to all of them for letting me pick their brains.

Joanna Ludlow

Enrolment Services Professional | Vancouver
Photo by Marshall Watson

When do you start biking to work each spring?

I bike all year long! I leave in the mornings around 7 am.

How many days a week do you bike to work?

5 days a week.

How long does it take you?

It takes me about 40 minutes one way, sometimes longer if I’m feeling sluggish, sometimes shorter when I’m racing my boyfriend.

Do you ever hop on the bus part way?

Couldn’t let the bus have all the fun! I’ve never put my bike on the bus but it would be a great way to get into biking.

Do you bike even if it’s raining/snowing/sleeting/hailing?

All year! I think there was one day I didn’t bike due to snow, but usually I just take the plowed roads in the snow.

Besides the bike itself, what’s your most useful piece of gear?

In order:

1. Helmet
  2. Bike light
  3. Good music
  4. Fist to shake at drivers (just kidding!)

What is your favourite part of riding to work? (The health benefits, environmental benefits, a great pit-stop on your route, the love of cycling, no parking fees/bus fare?)

I love being on my bike, all the other benefits are very much appreciated but secondary. I started biking thinking of it as a workout but now it doesn’t feel like that at all, just happy to have any excuse to be outside.

Do you have any recommendations or words of encouragement for anyone who wants to start biking to work?

1. Start slow! Put your bike on the bus on the way to work then bike home.
  2. Plan out pitstops! I rewarded myself with a donut pitstop during my first week. Not necessarily the healthiest but surely the most delicious.
  3. When it starts feeling like a routine you won’t even question biking through the rain. Promise 🙂
  4. I recognize that biking isn’t for everyone, so find any way to mix up your commute that you enjoy!

Anne DeWolfe

Associate Registrar, Foundation Unit | Vancouver

After the clock springs ahead.

As many as I can manage. I don’t if I have meetings scheduled before 9am. There isn’t time if a shower line up.  You have to expect a line up on busy days.

How long does it take you?

38 minutes to work. 25 minutes home.

Do you ever hop on the bus part way?

No.

Never if there is snow or if below freezing. Yes to all else.

Panniers for bike. I used to have a knap sack but it was too uncomfortable.

The ride home going down the hill on 8th – you don’t have to pedal.

Just start once a week. Get a locker. Leave a blazer in your office.  They don’t like being shoved in a panier!

Carrie Karsgaard

Student Recruiter-Advisor | Okanagan
Curtis Road, Carrie’s favourite part of her daily ride

Being the fair-weather person that I am, I wait until the mornings are light and it’s at least 8-10 degrees above zero at 6:30 am.  A fine science, I know.

Depending on the rest of my schedule, I will typically bike between 1-3 days per week. It’s a fairly long commute for me, and sometimes I have other outdoor activities I’d rather be doing!

How long does it take you?

1 – 1.5 hours each way, depending on the route.  Kelowna is hilly!

Do you ever hop on the bus part way?

No.

No.  Never.  But you rarely have to in Kelowna… Warning to Vancouverites: if you move here, you get dainty.

In summertime, my water bottle.  Simple and effective, when it’s 38 degrees on my way home!

You mean to ask: what do I NOT like about riding (other than having to pack six lunches because I am hungry all day)?

To me, cycling is:

• Catch-up time with my commuter-buddy
  • An act of resistance against Curtis Road inhabitants who are fighting to get UBC cyclist commuters off their private road
  • The chance to avoid the flood of tourists swerving around Kelowna streets in the summer
  • A good excuse for a beer the second I get home
  • More hours outside

Until I moved to Kelowna, I always lived in cities.  Now, when I bike to work, I pass orchards, horse pastures, and little rows of ducks crossing to the pond.  Last week, a friend posted on Facebook: “on my bike ride to UBC Monday morning, my face collided with a quail.  Fortunately no damage to either of us, but I think we were both very surprised.”

Do it. You’ll never feel so alive as you will when you close your computer and feel the wind on your face when you hit the road.

Halyna Petryshyn

Student Recruiter-Advisor | Okanagan

After the time change, so it is light when I bike home from work.

Usually every day except Wednesdays.

How long does it take you?

If I am speedy, about 35 min.

Do you ever hop on the bus part way?

No.

I have to admit, I am a fair weather rider. I will bus if it is pouring!

My panniers.

All of the above. I have much more energy in the day if I bike to work in the morning. Also, my ‘parking’ spot is very close to my building, so I have less of a walk when I get to UBC.

Try biking the route on the weekend/day off so you can see how long it will take. Check if there are any bus routes along the way; it’s always nice to know you will not be stranded if you get a flat/get tired.

Nicola Austin

Admissions Coordinator | Vancouver

I am an all weather and year round commuter and race cyclist.

5 days.

How long does it take you?

2 hours a day.

Do you ever hop on the bus part way?

Never.

Technically yes, but safety trumps all aspects of cycling. If it is extreme conditions, where visibility is low then no, it really isn’t worth risking my life.

For all weather commuting you can’t have just one piece: bike lights, lock and waterproofs. For racing, it’s the humble water bottle.

My motivation is that cycling is my passion 24/7, which ties into the huge mental and physical health benefits that one acquires by riding. In addition, I love the fact I walk out of my door and ride to work, I don’t have to wait or stand on a packed bus for 50 minutes.

1. Start in the summer – it means you don’t have to buy all the gear, and can wear t-shirts/shorts.
  2. Start small, map out your ride and ride once or twice a week until you gain confidence.
  3. The days you don’t cycle, bring with you a set of clothes, so you don’t have to carry them when you do.
  4. If you are feeling uncomfortable on your bike after a month of riding once a week, it means your bike isn’t fitted correctly. This can be easily adjusted by going to a local bike store or asking an experienced cyclist.
  5. Remember cycling is fun, and if you aren’t having fun, but you really want to get out there on your bike, I recommend you start off cycling at the weekend, when it is less busy and you have more time.
  6. In addition, there are plenty of local bike groups who can help motivate and support you, and take you to destinations that you never thought you could do by bike.
  7. Always talk to other cyclists, we are quite a happy bunch, and are always willing to answer questions and encourage others to go for it!

Thanks again to Nicola, Halyna, Anne, Carrie and Joanna for telling us a bit about their commutes and offering some tips for getting started.

Now that we’ve heard from them, we’d really like hear from you!

Ever ride your bike to work?

Tell us about it! Share your story in the comments below.

Thinking about giving it a shot this year? Inspired by these dedicated pedalers?

Let us know! And don’t forget, Bike to Work Week is May 26 – June 1.

Love cycling, just not to work?

Where do you like to ride? Any big treks or competitions planned this summer? Maybe you just like to cruise along the seawall? Tell us all about it.

And while you’re here, just be glad you don’t have this guy’s commute.