Weblog 5: Society for Building a Healthier Kugluktuk

Hi everyone,

This is directly from the website I will discuss in this weblog post, from the ‘Community’ tab page:

‘Kugluktuk is situated at the at the mouth of the Coppermine River in Coronation Gulf in western Nunavut, about 650 km by air east of Inuvik. The community was formerly known as Coppermine and was located in the Northwest Territories before the creation of Nunavut in 1999.’

I am interested in this website “The Society for Building a Healthier Kugluktuk” as I continue research into what I intend to focus on for my final paper/project. I am drawn to any community that is open about wanting to be healthier as there are so many ways we can all strive to achieve greater forms of emotional, social, physical and mental health. I am also drawn to how the act of storytelling can function in different ways to support healing and psychological health particularly in First Nations peoples. While navigating through this site, I noticed that on the ‘Services’ pages, in the right hand column, there is a newsfeed. I read this feed for awhile and started to realize that this is a technology-based way to incorporate a traditional form of storytelling into a modern community field. This seems highly relevant not just to my interests in this aspect of First Nations culture, but also to how technology can be used to advance cultural understanding. This has inspired me to look elsewhere for how technology can be used to share experience and ways of knowing.

Thanks,

Ginelle

http://www.healthykugluktuk.ca/