The Lover – Where Does Duras Situate Herself in Her Relationship?

“The Lover” left me in a state of perplexity long after I had finished reading the novel not because of its plot, but because of its power dynamics between Duras and her lover, the Chinese man. I find the title “The Lover” intriguing because it seems to me that Duras refuses to be identified as the lover of the man; instead, she reverses the narrative by establishing the Chinese man as her own lover, thus asserting possession and power in their relationship.

Initially, I was inclined to pass judgment on the older man as a despicable person because of his willingness to be in a sexual relationship with Duras, who then was just a young girl. However, as I progressed through the novel, I became increasingly confused as to whether Duras feels she has control over the man. For instance, she writes, “She tells him she doesn’t want him to talk, what she wants is for him to do as she usually does with the women he brings to his flat… And she, slow, patient, draws him to her and starts to undress him…” (38). This sentence makes me reflect on the power dynamics in their relationship. Duras lacks a tone of condemnation, nor does she resist the man. This corresponds to the part where she describes how outsiders would view her relationship with the man. Duras says, “Don’t tell me that hat’s innocent, or the lipstick, it all means something, it’s not innocent, it means something, it’s to attract attention, money…” (88). Contrary to conventional societal norms, it seems to me that Duras embraces her identity and behaviour in the sense that she deconstructs people’s conception of what should be deemed as “decent”. I find her alienation of people’s obscene judgement powerful because it only reinforces Duras’ centrality in her relationship with the man. Duras also writes, “I discover he hasn’t the strength to love me in opposition to his father, to possess me, take me away… his heroism is me, his cravenness is his father’s money” (49). Her contemptuous tone enables her to attribute cowardice to the grown man. By doing so, Duras displays authority by belittling her lover since bravery is usually one of the qualities that is associated with males.

Another element that I want to explore is Duras and her relationship with her mother. On multiple occasions, I find it sinister when she mentions how her family is depicted as dysfunctional. She writes, “She shouts, for the whole town to hear, that her daughter’s a prostitute, she’s going to throw her out, she wishes she’d die, no one will have anything to do with her…” (58). However, later on, her mother personally asks the head of the boarding school to let Duras return to the dormitories whenever Duras wishes. This is the part where I got confused. Her mother’s decision seems to give Duras a moral license to remain in her relationship with the man; it also makes me wonder if Duras’ mother is torn between financial pressure and moral boundaries, or if she knows that she cannot possibly “restrain” her daughter in a conventional sense.

My question for this week is: The ending of the novel illustrates the scene where the man phones Duras and expresses his love for her. How might the sense of irresolution enhance our analysis of Duras’ relationship with the man?

4 Comments

1. Janae, I liked your reflection on the title and the repossession of the term lover. It is easy to overlook given the age gap but it is at the center of the book for sure. I will say that feeling like the relationship is inappropriate while questioning the role the girl plays. Very good choice of quotes! You also did a great analysis when talking about the belittling of the man in terms of maturity an independence. I think this is an important point as the girl’s main objective is to achieve independence from her family and financial standing.

The maternal relationship is definitely something that requires more space to consider. You said you were confused with the mothers contradictory actions as to whether she accepted or not the affair. My initial thinking is to say that maybe the quote you mention and the excuse of not being able to control her daughter are merely performances she uses to be able to save face in society while still letter her daughter (and in someways herself) benefit from the girl’s behaviour.

Thanks for your comment!
    – Tesi

2. Hello,

This is an excellent post. You dig into Duras’s deep (and unsettling) relationship with her mother. I had to reread several of the things Duras’s mother said to her. The entire web of relationships in this novel is very complex. You explain the diverging thought of the mother being “torn between financial pressure and moral boundaries,” which is very well-written and captures my thoughts exactly

-Gabby

3. Hi Janae. I liked your blog post a lot. To answer your question I think the man calling Duras at the end of the novel shows just how intense the relationship was for both of them. Perhaps this resolution is supposed to be a reflection of how there is no easy answer or solution to their situation. Their relationship is a bit unclear of whether it is a passionate affair or true love.

4. Great Post Janae! I think the phone call represented the feelings that still lingered in the man’s heart and showed how much he treasured those memories and her. I guess the phone call was a way of finally having closure of the forbidden relationship those two had.