Faces in the Crowd – What Did I Just Read???

“Faces in the Crowd” was undoubtedly one of the most challenging books I have ever read in this class. This novel requires immense attention and sophistication as the narrator constantly switches back and forth from the perspective of the narrator to Gilberto Owen, a Mexican poet who is featured mostly in the latter half of the novel. Initially, I thought that the narrator and Owen have separate storylines featured in the same novel. However, upon further reading and reflection, I noticed that this trend has become more complex. On several occasions, I had to rewind and re-read the parts that I had overlooked, but seemed rather significant to the plot. For instance, Luiselli writes, “But the days those things begin to arrive – the blindness, the cats, the ghosts, the pieces of furniture… I knew it was the beginning of the end” (37), and “All novels lack something or someone. In this novel there’s no one. No one except a ghost that I used to see sometimes in the subway” (38). As for Owen, he says, “He replied that I was a ‘subwanker’ and that instead of going around looking for ghosts where there weren’t any, I should send him a poem about a subway…” (48). The multiple references to ghosts from both voices evoke a sense of unconsciousness and the blurred boundaries between fictionality and facts. The element of “ghosts” is shared by both voices as if they form a parallel narrative with one another. The fragmentation of memories from both characters brings about realism; at the same time, I don’t think it’s entirely appropriate for me to categorize Luiselli’s novel as a work of fiction. This novel transcends the conventional boundaries of what constitutes fiction or not.

The convergence of the two voices is most prominent toward the end of the novel, especially when the narrator and Owen seem to be in conversation with one another. The narrator says, “Autumn leaves are falling down and Papa’s missing” (76), and this is instantly replied by Owen “I feel the blazer that covers my eyes rising, the heart of the room entering and shaking my body, the excited voice of a little boy beating my face: Found!” (77). I think that this key scenario is when the two storylines ultimately converge as one; no one is stealing anyone’s light here. As the narrator’s son plays hide and seek in his own space, he discovers Owen, as evident by Owen’s line above. It seems that Owen has even become the father in the narrator’s storyline. Owen physically senses the boy beating his face; this makes me wonder if the characters finally perceive each other’s existence in the same space now. The idea of space alludes to the constant references to ghosts that I have previously mentioned since ghosts are not constrained by time and space. Hence, this allows Luiselli to deconstruct the linearity of time and utilize the idea of space to develop a parallel plot.

My question for this reading is: How does the anonymity of the narrator contribute to the idea of fictionality and fact featured in the novel?

10 Comments

1. Hey Jane! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I also found this book really hard and challenging to comprehend as the narrator was transitioning between the young woman’s single to her married life and then her obsession with Gilberto Owen.
    – Kritika Singh

2. Hi Jane,

Thank you for your blog post! I also found this book to be quite a complex read and found Owen and the narrators storyline a bit hard to understand. I think the switching narratives really added to the difficulty of understanding the novel or simply keeping along with what is going on.

– Puneet Dulla

3. “I think that this key scenario is when the two storylines ultimately converge as one.”

Yes, it does seem as though the story lines converge at the very end… and yet this is precisely where both narratives stop. It’s as though convergence were the end of narrative, and the story (any story?) can only be told if there’s some distance between the teller and the tale.

4. Jane,
    This book was definitely challenging for me as well. I also had to reread many lines which I thought were significant to the story. Even now, what you said about the boy finding Owen which may be because the narrators perceive each others’ existence did not occur to me while I was reading the novel. I’m not entirely sure what your question is asking but I will attempt to answer it. I think the anonymity of the narrator makes the readers connect one story to the other. I feel that this gives the “convergence” effect that you mentioned.

5. Hello, Jane. This book was a struggle for me as well. The shifting timeframes were very taxing on my brain cells. As you mentioned, the dissolving boundaries between fiction and reality were difficult to comprehend.

6. Hello. Thank you for your blog. I too was confused between the narrations, and it took time for me to catch on, but once I did the book make a little more sense.

7. Hi Jane, I also found this book to be one of the more challenging readings of this course, to answer your question, I feel like the unnamed protagonist creates ambiguity around whether this protagonist is purely a fictional creation or based on the author’s own life experiences.