Building My Own Case: an interview

by Jasmeet Virk ~ January 17th, 2012. Filed under: Module A. Framing Issues.

BM teaches grade 4/5 split at my school. He has been teaching for the past 11 years and just completed his M.Ed. in School & Applied Child Psychology. BM enjoys technology. He has recently acquired an Ipad and is experimenting with Cloud Technology.

Response

Analysis

Question: What is the place of technology in elementary education?
In elementary education, technology can be a tool that assists teachers in delivering content that augments and brings instruction to life.  It also has a place in helping children practice skills, learn and demonstrate knowledge, and receive immediate feedback (e.g., math drills, quizzes).  Children today are inundated with technology.  They are growing up in the digital age and need to be familiar with, comfortable using, and knowledgeable about a myriad of technological tools, like computers, smart phones, tablets; and software, like MS Office and other productivity suites to web based services offered through the Cloud.  Technology is pervasive in everyday life and so it will be in elementary schools.  However, we must ensure that we do not lose sight of the fact that it is only a tool and that children need to develop the ability to think critically, problem solve, and work cooperatively alongside their peers.   I totally agree that the core behind all the technology is educational outcomes of critical thinking, problem solving, and metacognition.Therefore, technology needs pedagogical approval. If it is not able to help achieve educational goals – it needs to be given up. [is that what we call fluff?] But then can all technologies be conducive to education if applied properly. There is much talk about using Facebook , cell phones, etc…
Question: Are you able to differentiate instructions through technology?
 Absolutely, that is the nice thing about technology – not only does it engage multiple pathways to learning, it is scalable to level of learning.  Take software that adjusts to performance – for example Star Reading and SuccessMaker adjust their level of difficulty based on the students response set – they keep the tasks within the students Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) as espoused by Vygotsky to ensure optimal growth.    I have my doubts about pre made programs like SM. It is adjusting to student level – which is fabulous. But it is a basic drill activity. There is no higher level thinking involved here. So, does all technology need to afford high level thinking etc. Is there still any room for drills and practice in education?
Question: Do you think technology should be used even if the same concept can be learned effectively without it?
Absolutely, technology may support effective instruction and learning.  If it can help reinforce learning and reach students through multiple pathways, than why not use it.  However, if it is just used as fluff to extend lessons or fill in time then its use should be reconsidered.  Technology has the affordance for multimodalities- that gives it an edge over traditional teaching.
Question: What does technology look like in your science and math class?
I use videos from you tube not just to show content but also to show other student’s projects and group work to model how their peers think. I put up the textbook on the smart board to make it multimodal. In math, students play many online games and use drill sites to practice concepts.   A lot of technology is being used in presenting information is science. It is not as interactive as math. Is it harder to create interactivity in science lessons?
Question: Does the use of technology change your pedagogical approach to your lessons?
Not really!  I still teach the same – find out what they know and build on a solid base – make instruction and practice activities engaging and relevant, and if technology can bring the subject to life, enhance engagement, and support learning then it gets built into the lesson.  I still want to hit as many modalities of learning as I can and tap into multiple intelligences, and if technology enables me to do so, then I jump on the chances. The emphatic answer made me think that deep below that technology is sound pedagogy – Vygotsky, Constructivism, Multiliteracies. Without this foundation, technology application would be useless.However, technology does have its affordances that can enhance the pedagogical expectations. For example, ability to communicate online allows for negotiation and discussion of knowledge.
Question: Do you think there is a place for social interactive tools in elementary school?
I believe that social tools can be a great learning tool for students to contact other students in other provinces and may be other countries. However, I do not think it is suitable in an elementary school. It does not have any potential here. Nevertheless, students in intermediate use emails and chats – so why cannot we build on that ability to use it in a more conducive manner to create knowledge? My students are blogging and I plan to create a class wiki. This aspect of online technology may be slow in coming into elementary schools.