Defining Technology

by Jasmeet Virk ~ February 4th, 2012. Filed under: Module B. Design of Technology-Enhanced Learning Experiences (TELE).

Defining technology

Before reading through the given definitions I jotted down: A tool that improvises our lives –our thoughts-our behaviour -as what I deem technology to be. Then as I read through the definitions, the one that resonated with my thinking was Margaret Roblyer’s.

Roblyer (2004) describes technology as technology is us -our tools, our methods, and our own creative attempts to solve problems in our environment.

As my mind travels through the annals of human history, I am fascinated by how again and again man came up with technology to solve problems. From the Stone Age tools and wheel, to literacy and printing press, from the telegraphs to texting- man has come up with innovative technology again and again for basic survival, for comfort, for enhancement of human life, and often just for fun!

Society has evolved and continues to grow and change through technology that is ubiquitously interwoven in the tapestry of our everyday lives.

Technology has many facets because there are varied human needs it tries to provide for. We pick and choose from this array of technology – the tools that we believe will enhance the quality of our own journey and ignore the other. We enjoy and like the technology we are familiar with and benefit from, and are overwhelmed and afraid of the plethora of the new and the unknown.

Sometimes we will venture into the unknown and find tools that work better for us and sometime we get more lost into the bottomless abyss of our own created technologies. The whole new challenge facing us now is to find, choose, and apply suitable and comprehensive technologies which will enable us to achieve the goals we want to accomplish.

Reference:

Roblyer, M.D. (2004). Integrating educational technology into teaching, 3rd Ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill/ Prentice Hall.