Emulating Jasper!

by Jasmeet Virk ~ February 11th, 2012. Filed under: Module B. Design of Technology-Enhanced Learning Experiences (TELE).

Now when planning learning environments following the Jasper Series model, do they have to be as grandiose?

I think if the smallest of relevant-realistic activity can provide for the essential underlying assumptions, they are applicable. So the activity needs to be based in reality, a problem needs to be solved, and it should be relevant to the students. They should have the know-how of the basics needed for this problem or there should be provision for mini lessons long with the activity where these building blocks of knowledge could be provided. They will need to work in small groups. Technology support can provide content, scaffolding, discourse, and manipulative software to create and compute.

My little brain is abuzz with ideas! Here is my ambitious plan- next year I am definitely going to use the anchored learning approach with a multidisciplinary slant for one semester for sure. Some ideas floating in my head currently are:

1. For grade 4 science and writing outcomes, my students could design the school playground as we are going to get a new one soon. They will be dealing with math concepts of addition, area, perimeter as they will look at the cost of equipment and labour and designing of the playground with safety and capacity in mind. They will need to visit some playgrounds, interview the school district personnel in charge of playgroup. This could be a F2F or a Skype interview. Students will have to communicate formally with the principal and PAC regarding budget issues.

2. Another grade 3 scenario I am thinking is about including the science unit of structures with the socials unit of pioneers. As the pioneers came, they build structures. In each scenario the students could be provided materials and they have to plan structures like houses, bridges, barns, igloos. They have to rationalize the structure style according to the material provides and from the environmental aspect.

These are very simple scenarios but they appear quite doable to me. With MET done by July, I can go ahead and plan full steam!