My Teaching Philosophy

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 3.40.06 PM

My background, and my experiences thus far, all play a major part in informing my role as an emerging physical education educator.  It is my passion to teach; to make physical education an positive, engaging, enjoyable experience where students can be challenged, be creative, be physically active and be themselves in a safe environment.

Someone who has had a major impact on my teaching philosophy was my high school Physical Education teacher. He wasn’t just there to teach P.E., he genuinely cared for each and every student, not only how well they performed in his class, but in life. In class he challenged me to go above and beyond, and to think outside the box. He himself wasn’t one for going along with the crowd, and neither was I. He saw this trait in me and continually inspired me to strive to the best of my ability. He told me once, “If I follow the crowd, I will only end up where everyone else is, and be limited to only as far as the crowd goes”. He showed me what it was to strive for an equitable physical education class. Not everyone needed the same degree of help, but she provided everyone what he or she needed in order for a successful outcome.

Screen Shot 2015-08-04 at 3.28.13 PMI have applied his words, and approach to teaching, to my personal teaching philosophy. Physical education is about student development, about teaching the whole student through a process. The focus is on lifelong movement, problem solving, collaborative team thinking, teamwork, and individual success. It is to engage and encourage students to achieve their personal best in a safe and fun environment. To build and develop physical, social, and psychomotor ability, and to acquire the knowledge and thus live out a healthy lifestyle. Physical education is about strengthening both body and mind.

I want to work with students to learn and understand concepts that they can utilize across a variety of sports they will encounter in life and assist them in their journey of becoming games and physically  literate. Physical literacy does not end within the school walls, but stretches across a lifetime of being physically active. Another focus will be educating students on the health benefits and concerns associated with physical activity, or lack there of. Bringing nutritional concepts to the classroom would expand student’s knowledge, and would be another aspect they can take through life. In my classes students need to show up and they will enjoy themselves, become physically literate without even realizing they are learning.

For me, there is great value in connecting with my students inside the classroom, coaching my students and getting involved in school clubs.  Encouraging students to connect with their school by being involved in sports teams and extracurricular activities not only creates a healthy relationship in which I can get to know my students, but gives them an opportunity to be a part of the school community.  I see each student as a valuable component both in my class and in the greater school community.

I am not only an Educator who educates for the present, but also one who collaborates with other educators and student’s parents to help equip students for their future successes. I am highly motivated to teach and inspire young minds in a physical environment as an educator and coach that will help students today and to build for their future.

Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 3.17.11 PM