Research Findings

In looking at previous research and studies, some of the significant issues with ‘leadership’ were a lack of understanding and definition for what leadership is as well as lack of a systematic plan that can be used in classes (Witziers, Bosker & Kruger, 2003, p.399). Leadership has been defined in many similar ways but according to the Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI), which is one of the more widely accepted leadership assessment instruments, the five fundamental practices of an exemplary leader are to challenge the process, inspire a shared vision, enable others to act, model the way, and encourage the heart (Kouzes & Posner, 2014, para. 4). Other leadership qualities that are frequently mentioned are good communication skills, high motivation and enthusiasm. Quinn (1992) states that student leadership is not necessarily about making each student into a leader, but that leadership and developing leadership qualities is about growth, personal student growth.

It has always been an interest of mine to develop leaders. While I was in high school I was fortunate enough to be able to take a PE leadership course, where as a grade 11 students I was placed in a grade 8 physical education class to be an assistant teacher. In being given this opportunity to lead, I was successful, learned many leadership skills and gained the confidence to lead. This was my growth, but everyone’s will be different. However, I then began thinking, how can leadership skills and growth be developed at an even younger age, and how do I bring out leadership qualities in a not so outgoing and confident individual?

According to LeBoeuf and Butler (2008), it is so important to expose students to the opportunity to lead and give them the tools for success. Leadership is experientially based and thus is viewed as the hallmark of the developmental process (Quinn, 1992). It becomes very apparent within a Physical Education class, who leads and who follows. As stated previously, from the classes I have seen, it’s always the same students. We need to move away from this and get all students involved in leading and in a role of their own.

Daryl Siedentop developed the SEM in 1984, and is a curriculum and instruction model designed for physical education programs of all levels. The SEM allows student to participate by taking on a specific role for the unit. In order for the unit to be successful, students need to fulfill their role (roles described later), work as a team, contribute to their team, and not let their team down. Siedentop (1994) and Ntoumanis (2001) found that motivation increases in Physical Education class, by giving students roles. It increases their perceived confidence, as well as “fosters a sense of ownership in the learning process and makes the students more responsible for their own learning” (Ntoumanis, 2001, p.233). The SEM has also been found to increase student responsibility for instructing, assessing and performing in class (Ntoumanis, 2001 & Siedentop, 1994). The SEM strives for three major goals. The first is that students become knowledgeable and competent players who are able to execute game strategies in game play. The second is to develop literate players who understand and value rules, rituals and traditions of the game and who are able to distinguish between good and bad sport practice. Lastly, it develops enthusiastic players who preserve, protect and enhance sport culture through participation and appropriate behavior.

The student roles that I will be implementing during our SEM badminton classes are; coach, trainer/fitness Instructor, badminton guru, reporter, manager and executive equipment organizer, spirit leader, and a wellness expert, scorekeepers and umpires. In the SEM, the mental and emotional aspects of fitness are emphasized while lifelong skills such as teamwork, perseverance, the will to win; sport values and fair play, selflessness and sportsmanship are present. It has been shown that with the development of these lifelong skills comes a greater self-efficacy as well as choosing to be active outside of class. This model also values inclusion, which sees every student as an athlete (LeBoeuf & Butler, 2008).

I expect that students will succeed in their own roles within their teams, because their team is counting on them. The team cannot succeed unless everyone pulls his or her own weight in the role they have been assigned. This model creates a sense of need for each person on the team and no one person is expendable, no matter how athletic or non-athletic they are.

See the Annotated Bibliography below in Table format for a clearer picture of applicable resources used.

Annotated Bibliography – Table format