Observation in my Short Practicum

Throughout my short practicum I consistently noticed that it is always the same students stepping up and taking on a leadership role. Is that because the other students weren’t as comfortable with the sport? Were they not given the opportunity? Or were they just not motivated to lead? I also noticed that for some basketball games, the class did not play as a team and some students tried to hog the ball themselves. Thus, by using the SEM I would like to eliminate these variables. Students will be provided the knowledge and information to be assigned selected roles, to know how to play the sport, the opportunity to be in charge and lead, be motivated as their team is counting on them, as well as be a contributing team player.

In conducting this inquiry research in February, I hope to learn a great deal about how students step up and lead as an important team player when given the opportunity. Also, I am interested to see if student leadership qualities, while using the SEM, continue past this badminton unit. I will be curious if students are confident enough to still lead when not placed in a specific leadership role where their team is counting on them?  I also would like to look at their motivation habits. Did an unmotivated student become more motivated when they felt they had a leadership role? And did that motivation carry over to future classes because their self-confidence or self-efficacy increases?

Pictures-gallery-of-Teamwork-Quotes