Course Evaluations

Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness

Most of my evidence gathered are based on my FNH 200 Course Evaluation. Please see result summary below.

FNH 200:  Exploring Our Foods, 2009-2011 Winter Sessions

At the end of each term, students were asked to provide their evaluation of the instructor and the course. A total of 21 questions were asked. Questions 1 to 15 were in the Land and Food Systems Module where Questions 1 to 10 were closed-ended questions on a 5-point scale and Questions 11 to 15 were open-ended questions. Questions 16 to 21 were UBC-wide Module.

Table 1. Instructor Evaluation, Land and Food System Module, for FNH 200 102 Winter sessions 2009 to 2011

2009 2010 2011 Reflections
Q1 The instructor was well prepared. 4.5 3.9 4.3
Q2 The instructor knows the subject well. 4.4 3.8 4.2
Q3 The instructor was interested in teaching. 4.6 4.3 4.7
Q4 The course content helped me to achieve the stated learning objectives. 4.4 3.6 4.1
Q5 The learning activities (e.g., lectures, labs, PBL, tutorials, field trips, on-line components, and assignments) helped me to achieve the stated learning objectives. 4.2 3.5 3.8
Q6 The course format encouraged me to participate (e.g., whole class discussion, on-line discussion, small group work, group projects, class presentations, etc.). 3.8 3.6 3.9 1
Q7 The course included clear and appropriate illustrations and/or practical applications of the subject. 4.5 3.9 4.1
Q8 The course stimulated my interest in the subject. 4.1 3.6 3.9
Q9 Evaluation feedback on examinations and assignments was available. 3.7 3.8 3.9 2
Q10 Out-of-class assistance was available. 4.1 4.0 4.0

* On a 5-point grading system where 1 = Strongly Disagree; 2 = Mildly Disagree; 3 = Neutral; 4 = Mildly Agree; 5 = Strongly Agree

My reflection on students’ comments on participatory learning.
My reflection on students’ comments on feedback and evaluation.

Q 11. What I appreciated most about this course and/or how I benefited from it was…

“Judy was very enthusiastic about the course material and conveyed the material very well. Made going to class enjoyable.”

“I took this class to fulfill my science requirement. I thought it was really interesting.  I now look at all the labels of my foods when I go to the grocery store (I drive my roommate nuts!).”

“The best part of this course was having Judy Chan as my instructor. I really enjoyed her style of teaching and how she continuously brought samples to class. Her course notes were easy to follow and I was able to learn a lot from her lectures. Her fun and outgoing personality created a very happy and comfortable environment for the students. Judy is quick at responding to questions and e-mails. Her friendly personality made it easy for me to approach her with questions. In addition, she cares for her students and is always willing to help.”

My reflection on students’ appreciation.

Q12.  I suggest that the course could be improved by…

“More interesting lectures.  I had no incentive to go to the lecture as all testable material was in the lesson booklets.  Material covered in the lectures was simply a summary of the lesson.”

“Making sure there’s no difference between Powerpoints and course content.”

My reflection on their concerns over lecture content vs on-line content.

“This course should be directed with a science basis, not with an arts approach.”

“The course was extremely difficult for me and my friends that were coming from the Faculty of Arts not Science; try to keep it a little bit out of Science that everyone could understand.”

My reflection on students’ diverse prior knowledge.

Q13.  Please comment on the TA’s strengths and areas for improvement.

“There were several TAs, but our only interaction was just through them marking our assignments.  Fair and prompt marking, however, and great feedback and pre-discussion of assignments though.”

My reflection on Teaching with TAs

Q14.  Please comment on the strengths and areas for improvement regarding physical and technical facilities for this course.

A few students suggested the use of a microphone.

A few suggestions were made regarding the classroom set up, AV equipment and technical problems regarding Vista.

My reflection on Physical and Technical Set Up

Q15.  Would you recommend this course to others?  Please state why or why not.

While most students would recommend it because the class fun and interesting and the content practical and relevant, a few did not agree.

My reflection on students’ overall comments.

Q16-21.  University Wide Module Questions

Table 2. Instructor Evaluation, University Wide Module, for FNH 200 102 Winter sessions 2009 to 2011

2009 2010 2011*
Q16 The instructor made it clear what students were expected to learn. 4.5 3.6 3.8
Q17 The instructor communicated the subject matter effectively. 4.1 3.4 3.7
Q18 The instructor helped inspire interest in learning the subject matter. 4.1 3.5 4.0
Q19 Overall, evaluation of student learning (through exams, essays, presentations, etc.) was fair. 4.1 3.5 3.7
Q20 The instructor showed concern for student learning. 4.4 4.0 4.2
Q21 Overall, the instructor was an effective teacher. 4.2 3.5 3.8

My overall reflection.