Teaching Philosophy

As a teacher,

I want my students to learn content in its legitimate forms,
I want my students to learn where to find legitimate content,
I want my students to learn how to critically evaluate the legitimacy of available content, and
I want my students to create relevant, authentic meaning from content and their experiences.
Ultimately, I want my students to contribute to the discovery of new information.

Depending on the prior knowledge of my students, I use different approaches to help them learn.  When my primary goal is to transmit content as in my second year introductory course, I set clear learning objectives, adjust the pace and activities of my lecture, make use of class time to answer questions, and utilize classroom assessment techniques to clarify misunderstandings. I set high standards for achievement and make my expectations transparent. I provided prompt feedback after each assessment activity.

When a student asks me a question in class, I use it as a teachable moment. I pause, take a break and utilize the opportunity to show students how to search for fair and objective information on the Internet.  I introduce my students the ideas of authorship and peer-reviewed publications. I make it clear that students should use original sources of information and provide proper citations when preparing their assignments.

Once students develop the ability to identity reliable source of information, I incorporate many active learning activities in the classroom where they need to exchange their ideas and understandings.  Through think-pair-share, team-based learning and team project assignments, students learn to explore their existing information and used the information in meaningful ways to understand, apply and problem solve. I developed classroom activities and assessments where students learn from their peers who are at a similar or slightly higher level of understanding.

My lecture is fun, active and lively. Graphics and video clippings are strategically integrated at different time of the lectures to generate effective instruction. My lecture is filled with food samples and personal stories.  Students do not only enjoy these ‘fun’ activities, but they also find them relevant and are better able to link lecture content to daily life.

In my senior-level classes, students are guided to explore learning on their own. I set regular meetings with them and show them how to proceed. They learn to read, critically evaluate, re-read, research, and develop hypotheses and an experimental plan to verify their beliefs. I observe their development, provide support when they face obstacles, and gradually withdraw as their mastery increase.

In addition to engaging students in the curriculum of food science, I am proud to act as an important source of advice and guidance to students. I role model my beliefs and I would like to be remembered as a knowledgeable, compassionate, supportive and inspiring teacher.