Teaching Practicum Week 2

Questioning students in order to initiate discussion around various themes and subjects was more challenging than I originally thought, but by the end of this week, I was able to generate student engagement with pre-determined questions. During each class, I showed news, movie and television clips that related to filming and editing interviews. I wrote down lists of questions that began as simple (can you describe to me what the person said in this clip?) and then moved towards being more abstract (what is your opinion on the subject of this clip?). I knew that it was working because students were actually beginning to speak when I asked questions. I felt pleased that I could begin to create more rapport with the students in this way.

I was also happy that my attempt at learning student names more effectively worked. I took attendance throughout the entire period, meeting with students individually rather than calling names at the beginning of class. I immediately started remembering names and faces more easily. I also had a chance to discuss work and answer questions when seeing them individually.

On the subject of establishing different classroom routines than what students are used to, I managed to implement the ‘computer monitors off’ directive on several occasions. Students did not seem too perturbed by this, and I think it helped in maintaining quietness. It did seem peculiar, however, that they stared towards the empty screens rather than looked at me when I was teaching.

My personal goal for this upcoming week includes being more tough about project completion and student use of classroom work time.

On Friday afternoon, I was supposed to view completed interview projects with the class. I was very disappointed to find that only one group was ready to present their work, despite being under the impression that many more would be ready from last class. Many of the students who were not ready had spent prior periods wasting time playing video games or watching silly videos, and claimed to me that they would be able to edit things together quickly ‘later’ or at home. It was not a surprise, yet it was still disheartening to find out that they had not in fact quickly edited things together ‘later’. Most groups, even though I had seen them filming, had no edited clips to show at all.

Knowing very well that I had given ample time to complete the project, I nonetheless allowed students to work on editing for one more period. On this particular occasion, I circulated actively around the classroom, conveying to students assertively that they must finish their work.

I think it will be a challenge to apply just the right amount of strictness and pressure concerning upcoming projects and their completion.

Meanwhile, outside of the classroom, my partner shows me how to max out weight machines.