CFE – The Departure

Unexpectedly, I went on a hike up Sleeping Beauty trail wearing Cindy’s sandals, and having suffered from ankle pain only days before. Miraculously, my ankle was healed though, and there wasn’t too much snow at the top, so all was well. I was impressed by the steepness of the climb, the tallness of the trees, the blanket of moss covering the forest floor, and the denseness of vegetation.

I felt tired for several days after that, and started drinking coffee (which I never do) that was provided at the daycare.

The week was a mixture of daycare work and observations at Queen Charlotte Secondary. Both Sue at the daycare and staff at the high school agreed that I should take the opportunity to see how things run in the secondary realm on Haida Gwaii, so I visited QCSS on Tuesday, and in the morning on Thursday. I observed the Haida Language class, spoke with the school resident artist named Robert for a length of time, checked out the art class, lead an outdoor gym class, and helped out in the music class, which was muddled and anomalous. Music consisted of students wandering in and out of the stage area, some plucking away at guitars in the hallway, and others practicing singing pop songs in a group. I tried to guide students playing with the guitars in an activity where we pinpoint chords in their favourite songs, but nothing much came of it. It would have been interesting to spend more time with the group though – perhaps we could have found some way to bring more structure into the class.

I played my last game of adult dodgeball, and sadly, things began to feel as though they were wrapping up. They gave me some lovely parting gifts at the daycare, and I said goodbye and ‘thank you’ to everyone there. I realized while working at the daycare that I would definitely want to work with that age group again. I decided that I would like to apply for a teaching position on Haida Gwaii – and that I would definitely consider daycare work as well. It was a really positive atmosphere, and I miss the kids already!

All made up nice and pretty by the kids.