The Research Institute for Humanity and Nature (RIHN) in Kyoto, Japan is looking to fill four, full-time research positions (one senior project researcher, three project researchers) for the “Lifeworlds of Sustainable Food Consumption and Production: Agrifood Systems in Transition” (FEAST Project) to begin in April 2016.
Taking a bottom-up, action research approach, this interdisciplinary project seeks to understand and catalyze sustainable agrifood transition through the co-creation of new communities of social practice and collective action at locations in developed and emerging Asian countries. The project looks to combine and advance three particular realms of research: 1) alternative food network and sustainable food planning research that seeks to define appropriate scales for “foodsheds” and supports evidenced-based, collaborative approaches to agrifood governance, 2) sustainable consumption research on the critical socio-cultural elements that shape human behavior in diverse Asian contexts, and 3) socio-technical transition research on the effectiveness of community futures envisioning, valorization, and market transparency based interventions.
• PhD in relevant field
• Experience or knowledge working in Asia (in particular, Japan, China, Thailand, Bhutan)
• Ability to communicate and write in English; Ability to speak Japanese is beneficial but not essential
Submission Deadline: January 15th, 2016
Full descriptions of each of the four positions can be found at this link: http://www.chikyu.ac.jp/rihn_e/job.html
For more information on the Research Institute for Humanity and Nature: http://www.chikyu.ac.jp/rihn_e/index.html (English); http://www.chikyu.ac.jp/ (Japanese)
Employment Opportunity at UC Davis: Area Cooperative Extension Advisor – Nutrition, Family & Consumer Sciences
This position focuses on low-income and economic urban disparities related to food and food systems, nutrition education, and relationships between food systems and environmental health for optimal nutrition and health outcomes. The CE advisor provides leadership for two large USDA contracts, the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP) and UC-CalFresh, across the three counties and connects research and extension programming to compliment these programs while bringing new knowledge and evidence based practices to complex urban food systems issues. It is expected that the CE advisor’s relationships between sustainable food systems, health, and diet-related chronic diseases will align with national public health policy and nutrition goals and UC ANR’s Strategic Initiatives. This position addresses priorities outlined in the Sustainable Food Systems Initiative of UC ANR, which fits well with expansion of urban agriculture programs being supported by UC ANR. Academic oversight of the Master Food Preserver program in San Mateo County is also included in this position.
Visit ucanr.edu/Jobs/Jobs_990/?jobnum=901 for details.
The Murray State University Hutson School of Agriculture invites applicants for a full-time, twelve month tenure-track administrative appointment as Department Head of Agricultural Science at the associate or professor level. The position announcement is attached. See the application instructions and complete announcement at http://www.murraystatejobs.com/postings/3950
Applications will be accepted through February 28, 2015. Start date is July 1, 2015.
The Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM) at the University of Oslo is inviting applications for two PhD research fellowships in ‘Food, Food systems and land use’.
SUM, is an international research institution at the University of Oslo with a well-established track record of undertaking critical, independent and high quality interdisciplinary and policy-related research on the challenges and dilemmas posed by sustainable development.
Read more about the Phd applications and apply here.
The FAO’s Nutrition Education and Consumer Awareness Group is seeking a School Nutrition Consultant, based at FAO Headquarters in Rome.
- Carry out a review and prepare an inventory of integrated school nutrition programmes (comprising school meals, nutrition education, school gardening, etc.) and related activities and projects in FAO and the regional offices for the purpose of improved collaboration and coordination.
- Convene a working group among all integrated school nutrition stakeholders in FAO HQs and Regional offices to share experiences and lessons, and identify best practices for sharing with interested stakeholders.
- Assist with convening meetings with school nutrition stakeholders and partner agencies to establish collaboration (also with a view to collaboration regarding the High Level Task Force on Global Food Security and Zero Hunger Challenge).
- Based on south-south collaboration with Brazil in Latin America, and other ongoing initiatives related to school feeding, nutrition education in schools, the nutrition of the school aged child, and farm-to-school programmes, prepare a concept note on FAO’s role and comparative advantage on integrated school nutrition programmes, as well as promotional materials.
- Promote FAO’s work on school nutrition in the context of the Milan Expo 2015.
- Support the implementation, and provide technical assistance to Project GCP/RAF/483/BRA – Strengthening School Feeding Programs in African Countries, especially regarding liaison with Brazilian partner agencies and RAF.
- Carry out country missions and support member countries in the development and implementation of integrated schoolnutrition activities and programmes.
- Carry out other related activities as required.
Please review the full job description for additional information. The closing date for applications is August 8, 2014.