Multiliteracies in ELA Classrooms

“Using Graphic Novels, Anime, and the Internet in an Urban High School” Reading Response

July 6th, 2014 · 1 Comment

In their article, Using Graphic Novels, Anime, and the Internet in an Urban High School, Nancy Frey and Douglas Fisher provide an interesting discussion on the use of graphic novels within the classroom as a way to develop visual literacy and writing skills amongst students. According to Frey and Fisher, graphic novels are a form of popular culture that has the potential to engage students in authentic writing and allows for the scaffolding of important literary skills by teachers. As a teacher candidate who used a graphic novel during my practicum, I found that they are an engaging tool for developing students’ writing skills and introducing them to critical visual literacies that are relevant to modern society. However, while Frey and Fisher have successfully demonstrated effective teaching approaches to using graphic novels in the classroom, they do not stress the importance of teachers being well versed in how to read and understand graphic narratives before they begin to teach it to a classroom of students.

While on practicum at John Oliver Secondary, I decided to use the graphic novel Maus in my Communication 11 classroom in order to help develop writing techniques and visual literary skills of my students. During our exploration of the text, I found that simple elements, like the quality of cartooning, served as a basic yet helpful tool to teach my students about literary devices like hyperbole and metaphor. By analyzing these intentional features of the text, my students developed a better understanding of these literary devices and how cartoonists use them to create meaning in their graphic novels. During our study of Maus,we also explored the historical ramifications of the Holocaust, and critically analyzed certain reappearing themes in the graphic novel like family, memory, guilt and war. Thus, while graphic novels are helpful tools to develop writing skills, I also found that they could be linked to certain cultural or social issues for the purpose of class discussions.

In many ways, I agree with the root argument put forward by Frey and Fisher; that graphic novels can be an effective and inexpensive way to introduce critical literacy concepts and develop writing skills. However, early in the article Frey and Fisher state that “students seemed reluctant to discuss [graphic novels], perhaps because it would disclose a literary form belonging to their generation” (Frey & Fisher, 19). While this may be the case for many adolescents, I found that most of my students lacked a basic understanding of how to read graphic novels as well as the visual literacy skills needed to critically analyze the text. Therefore, I think that before students can use graphic novels to improve their writing skills they must be taught how to engage with a graphic novel properly. Teachers must understand the specific form of integrated literacy that is required to elicit meaning from a graphic novel and must also be well versed in how to read the text before they can begin to teach their students. Before my students started critically analyzing the main themes of Maus or using the text to develop certain writing techniques, we discussed the basic elements that graphic novelists use to create meaning on the page. Whether it is the style of lettering, the ordering of the panels, or the use of a speech balloon to set mood or tone, each element in a graphic novel is carefully chosen by the author as a way to communicate their message to the reader. Students must be aware of these elements prior to reading a graphic novel in order to fully understand it.

-Cody Macvey

Frey, Nancy and Fisher, Douglas. “Using Graphic Novels, Anime, and the Internet in an Urban High School.” The English Journal 93.3 (2004): 19-25.

Tags: graphic novels · Visual Literacy

1 response so far ↓

• ebm21 // Jul 17th 2014 at 10:28 pm

I agree with you that graphic novels are an engaging tool for developing students’ writing skills and critical visual literacy skills. Today’s society forces students to use their visual literacy skills regularly. Students are constantly being bombarded with visual images from advertisements, social media, and television. You noted in your response to the Freyand Fisher article that “most of [your] students lacked a basic understanding of how to read graphic novels as well as the visual literacy skills needed to critically analyze the text.” I think that by giving our students the basic skills for interpreting and analyzing graphic novels, they will be able to use these critical thinking skills when interacting with visuals in society.

Teaching graphic novels to a class of students could be a beneficial starting point for engaging students in reading and writing. However, with the popularity of graphic novels, comic books, manga, and anime in popular culture, it might be beneficial to pick a text that the students are not familiar with. You noted an interesting point from Frey and Fisher’s article which pointed out that students in their study “seemed reluctant to discuss [graphic novels], perhaps because it would disclose a literary form belonging to their generation” (Frey & Fisher 19). Perhaps by engaging with a text that is not popular, students will be better able to focus on the literary and visual aspects of the text without feeling as if their teacher was taking something away from their personal lives.

In many ways, I agree with your ideas on teaching graphic novels in the classroom. You mentioned that when you taught Maus by Art Spiegelman (a great text in my opinion!) you addressed how to approach a graphic novel as a text prior to diving into some of the deeper, serious themes that are addressed. I think that by giving students the basic understanding of why certain panels are placed in specific locations, why particular colour schemes are used, or the use of speech bubbles is a great starting point for many students to begin thinking about visuals in graphic novels. Once they develop these basic skills, perhaps they will develop a greater desire to analyze the text being read in class. In turn, the critical thinking skills taught during a graphic novel unit are useful because they can be used in their day-to-day life when they encounter visual images in the media.

Erin Milne

Resources