Is Ana Maria the problem?- The Shrouded Woman by Bombal

Boy this read was a dramatic one but one I did enjoy even if I got quite confused. Despite my confusion due to the back and forth between many characters in Ana Maria’s life I found this book profoundly deep, seeing glimpses of her life through the interactions she has with other people. I believe telling a story through the main character’s memories of their relationships is quite an interesting concept and really highlights the importance those around us have on how not only we perceive the world but also ourselves.

Now the character of Ana Maria I found so interesting. There were times in the book I was rather annoyed with her, especially when she was interacting with Fernando and her husband. But when I started looking into the book I started to fear that my perceptions of Ana Maria were rooted in misogyny. I believe Ana did not fully live the life she wanted. I believed her class, socioeconomic status and her gender restricted her to live a life she was not proud of and I think it’s pretty evident due how she does not seem to find much love in those who show up. Well all but one…

Ah Ricardo, the moment I read that whole portion on Ricardo I knew I was in for a treat. Despite his part of the book being very short lived (much like the romance they shared) I think it was honestly one of my favourite parts of the book. Ana Maria talked about Ricardo with so much passion and I think it portrays a very realistic idea of what a first love is to a person. I believe Ana Maria went her whole life yearning to be Ricardo’s, her husband even says it himself when he shows her all the love notes kept by Ana Maria and even goes about to accuse her of only being friends with his wife as to feel a smidge closer to him. When Ricardo approaches her coffin and she states “She was never aware of it, she had in fact been waiting eagerly, longingly, for this moment” I think I died a little.

I think Ana Maria’s life is honestly a very honest one lived. Despite this being a fiction I believe it is much of a reality for a lot of people. People grow up hoping that their lives will become something extraordinary just for it to be rather mellow. But I feel as though Ana Maria went her whole life frustrated in all that went wrong instead of cherishing what she did have. She did in fact have many kids who adored her and a family who seemed to at the very least love her. Yet again I am still a little off put with how she reacted to these supposed loved ones approaching her coffin.

Now my question for you is do you think Ana Maria lived a good life?

7 thoughts on “Is Ana Maria the problem?- The Shrouded Woman by Bombal

1. Hi Maxene! What an interesting question. I think for me it’s hard to pin down a definition of “good” or to classify exactly what Ana Maria’s life was like. I think there were some aspects that were good but there are lots of factors that made it difficult for Ana Maria to enjoy parts of her life or to find fulfillment in it because she wasn’t able, in the case of her marriage, to make the choice herself. It definitely raises some food for thought! Thanks for sharing your perspective and thoughts on the novel. Thanks, Maia D.

2. Hey Maxene! Great Question! I thought Ana Maria at least in my definition of “good” was kind of lacking. As she was not really able to fully enjoy her life when she settled down with Antonio and she couldn’t really find any satisfaction in her life.

3. Hi Maxene!
    I found your analysis of the book super interesting! in terms of the question I think Ana Maria lived a ‘good’ life in terms of status but not a ‘good’ life by her standards. I don’t think she was content with her life, mainly with her marriage. But I agree with your statement that Ana Maria lived a very honest life.

4. Maxene, I liked that you reflected on how people migth dream of a life versus how they might reflect on it after they live it. Good job picking out the misogyny!

Thanks first your comment!

Test

5. Hi Maxene! I found the way you dove into the misogyny and gender roles in this book to be very well written! I agree with you, I think that Ana Maria’s life may not have been the one she really wanted or felt fulfilled in but I also think that it was one that most women tend to go through, it was such a real telling of the female experience. It showcased the gender norms women just adhere to and how those can dictate our lives for us.

6. Hi Maxene,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post and found that you touched on some interesting points. I agree with in regards to Ana not living a life she wanted to live. Throughout the story we learn she lived under the control of men and struggled with her marriage. She was not fulfilled in life due to her troubling relationships. So, to answer your question although she did have some good moments I do not think her life overall fits this definition of “good”.

7. Hi Maxene!
    Your analysis of Ana Maria’s perception of her life was super interesting to read! I am inclined to agree with you; I do not feel as if Ana Maria appreciated her life until after her death, which is an upsetting notion for those of us who might relate to her in ways. I will say, after reading her story, I think she was harsh on herself and the life she cultivated. It all boils down to perspective and if you want to focus on the negative or the positive. Thanks for this!