Moving In and Moving On

Move in day is the quintessential university experience: carting in all the kitchen appliances, clothes and books you may or may not use at all first year, meeting your roommates, finally saying goodbye to your parents.  It can either be a great time or just another stressful experience.  Hopefully these tips will help other first years figure out how to have a successful move in 🙂

What to Expect

For some reason I assumed that I would drive up, fist fight for a parking spot then just race up the elevator to my new room.  Thankfully this was not the case.  With over 6000 people moving into residence over the span of a few days, UBC has to run a tight ship.  There were volunteers helping everywhere, from directing parking (which was kind of confusing, but you’ll work it out, don’t worry) to giving mini orientations to helping you unload and take up your stuff. Just follow their helpful directions and it will all work out. First you pick up your keys from the Totem Commons Block, then sit through a mini orientation, then drive to Rits (where I am living) and take up all your stuff! One person has to stay with the car, so make sure you bring extra people so you will not have to haul everything by yourself with the volunteers.

How to Pack

What worked best for me was putting most of the stuff in laundry bins and under the bed storage containers, as it was compact and ready made storage.  Some people end up buying all of the kitchen/bath stuff when they get here but I opted to bring everything as the taxes are much cheaper in my hometown, Edmonton compared to Vancouver. 

What to Pack

Look through all those lists online! They really helped, but even so I still forgot some things like hand towels, mixing bowls, dish soap and x-long sheets.  I literally spent 15 mins agonizing over what colour sheets to buy, then grabbed the ones that were regular twin, not the x-long that all dorm room beds are. Also, on Rits since we have our own kitchens, don’t forget a breakfast for the next morning.  I got all my groceries on the Sunday afternoon, but was forced to eat breakfast in Starbucks because everywhere on campus seemed to be closed.

What Not to Do 

Do not be rude to the volunteers! They are just there to help you and make your transition as smooth as possible.  And don’t skip out on house events (especially if you don’t know anyone).  Although the welcome events can be kinda lame sometimes (regardless of your university), they are good way to start to meet people.

Decorate your Room

The first night in Res felt like I was staying in a hotel room, but little by little I’m starting to decorate my room and it is starting to feel like home.  If you are going to be here for the next eight months, you may as well make it feel like home!

Personally, my move in day went as smoothly as possible. Although it was tough saying goodbye to my family, I know that living in residence, away from home, is probably be the best thing for me at this stage in my life.  Really there is no right or wrong way to move in, so don’t bother stressing and just enjoy the excitement and freedom in the air! And surprisingly, if you think you have packed too much, it will most likely be just the right amount! (Unless you need more than one U-Haul, then you may be in trouble and may want to start weeding it out a bit).

Driving!All packed and ready to start the 14 hour drive!