Pages

Blogroll

June 2012
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  

A History of Ideas in Science Education

As I am preparing for teaching my summer course EDCP 585A_2012 Milner-Bolotin_June 28_2012 – Science and Mathematics Teaching and Learning through Technologies, I have a chance to rethink how technology has changed (or has not changed) how we learn mathematics and science. To help me rethink it, I decided to look at the history of ideas in mathematics and science education. When I was a grad student, at the University of TX in Austin, I read the book by George DeBoer with the same name, but I do not remember if it made as big an impression on me then as it has made on me now. When I reread it now, I realized how important it is to see a big picture of how ideas in the field of science education has been developing. The book is focused on the United States and I do not have parallel information from Canada, but I certainly think now that this book should be a must for any science educator. When I teach a course on Research in Science Education, we will use it as the point of departure, as in order to do research int he field, one has to know how the field came about. I am happy that teaching graduate course allows me to rethink and reread some of the books I have read in the past…