Pages

Blogroll

December 2012
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

VideoAnalysis in a Physics Classroom

In my earlier post I mentioned theĀ  STEM 2012 Conference in Beijing China. One of the theme of the conference was the use of technology in preparing future STEM teachers. During my workshop I presented how I use Vernier Video Analysis to engage my teacher-candidates in developing their knowledge of physics content and physics pedagogy. VideoAnalysis is an excellent way of engaging students in real-life physics and helping them develop critical thinking skills. It is also very easy to learn how to use, as LoggerPro software by Vernier (www.vernier.com) is very user-friendly. This presentation raised considerable interest. It is especially attractive today when most of our student own smartphones and can take photos and videos easily. I also thought that the use of video analysis in a physics classroom can complement many other resources, including the Physclips by the University of South Wales (see my earlier post).

For educators, who do not have access to Vernier VideoAnalysis, I would recommend using Tracker – a free software for Video Analysis and Physics Modeling developed by David Brown from Cabrillo College in California: http://www.cabrillo.edu/~dbrown/tracker/

To learn more about these and many other amazing resources for physics teaching, visit: www.compadre.org

Antimirova, T., & Milner-Bolotin, M. (2009). A Brief Introduction to Video Analysis. Physics in Canada, 65 (April-May), 74.

Antimirova, T., & Milner-Bolotin, M. (2010, 5-7 July 2010). Video Analysis in Science and Engineering Education. Paper presented at the EDULEARN10, Barcelona, Spain.