Pages

Blogroll

December 2014
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  

Nerd Nite Vancouver

web_print_v900

In three weeks (on January 21st)  I will be speaking at Nerd Nite Vancouver event:  http://vancouver.nerdnite.com/. In 15 minutes I will have an opportunity to share with the audience ( I think these are people who might not be scientists but who are interested in t) how I see the future of education and how in my view technology will change how we learn and how we teach. I am very excited to be speaking about it, here is the abstract of my talk – I hope some of you can come!

#3 Exploring Future Timeline of Technology-Enhanced Science Education: Reimagining How Our Grandchildren Will Learn Science in 2050

Dr. Marina Milner-Bolotin

Scientists predict that in 2050, humanity will be at cross roads. The Earth’s population will surpass 9 billion people, the power of computing will increase exponentially, and the world will face unprecedented economic, political and environmental challenges. However, what nobody can predict now, is how the schools and the teachers of the mid-21stcentury will be different from modern schools. In this talk I will dare to discuss my vision about how technology will change how we teach and learn science.  I will argue that 21st century schools will feature a significant qualitative and quantitative change in how science is taught and learned in our schools.

Bio: Dr. Marina Milner-Bolotin is a Science Education professor at the University of British Columbia. With her M.Sc. in theoretical physics, a Ph.D. in science education and more than 20 years of secondary and post-secondary mathematics and science teaching experience in Canada and abroad, she had lots of opportunities to think of the future of science education. She researchers how technologies change how we learn about science and how we can prepare teachers to take full advantage of modern technologies. In her spare time, she likes to travel and to learn foreign languages with the Duolingo community.