Pages

Blogroll

September 2016
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  

Thoughts on September 1st

2016-09-01_11-17-19

Today is September 1st. While it might not mean much for a North American audience, as I grew up in  a place where September 1st meant the beginning of a new school year, it means a lot to me. For the last 40 years (since I was 6 years old), September 1st meant that I started a new academic year… Most of the time I started it as a student and sometimes as a teacher. I am excited to begin a new academic year this time around. I have great graduate students to work with, as well as I will be working with many future mathematics and science teachers. We are already planing interesting research activities and are working on the 6th Family Mathematics and Science Day that will take place on October 15th.

I also have heard from many former students who are now mathematics and science teachers in Canada and all across the world. I wish them lots of success. It is always great to see your own students becoming successful teachers.

In addition to that, I was notified recently that I was elected to be a Fellow of the American Association of Physics Teachers. This makes this year even more exciting as this designation means that what I do makes a difference in the eyes of my colleagues and a larger physics education community. I am very grateful for my friends from the BC Section of the American Association of Physics Teachers who nominated me.

I would like to wish all students, teachers, and parents a great academic year. Maybe it be a challenging, exciting and exhilarating year for you. Enjoy learning!