Pages

Blogroll

February 2019
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728  

Five Minute University

I am currently teaching an online graduate course on creative use of technology in mathematics and science education. However, as we discussing technology use and mathematics and science teaching and learning and in teacher education, we inevitably come back to these questions: What does it mean to KNOW? What SHOULD our students know? WHY should they know it? and most importantly, What do they REALLY know and can put to use after our courses are over? As much as my course is about innovation in mathematics and science education, these questions are very old. In addition, since it is an online course, we have a luxury of having a Discussion Board where people can post thoughtful responses and share resources.

So one of my students today shared this video clip with us. I didn’t know about “Father Guido Sarducci“. But I think his 1980s skit is right to the point. It is relevant almost 40 years later. While the Father didn’t answer our questions, he made us think about them again… So what are we doing today? Are trying to use novel pedagogies to  make a 21st century Five Minute University or are we changing the entire system? Each one of us, mathematics and science educators has to find our own answer to this question. I definitely know mine.