Pages

Blogroll

November 2014
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

4th Math & Science Family Day a Huge Success

Five years ago when I came to UBC to become an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Education, I had a dream of engaging our Teacher-Candidates in Mathematics and Science Education in an informal way – I wanted them to experience the excitement of math and science through outreach. I also wanted future elementary teachers to be engaged and see that they can and should be teaching math and science in an interactive inquiry-based way. I am so happy to let you know that Fourth Family Math & Science Day took place @ UBC Faculty of Education on NOVEMBER 1, 2014 (10:00 am – 12:30 pm). It was a part of the UBC Celebrate Learning Week and it was a huge success! (See photos here). 

Our previous Math and Science Days at UBC Faculty of Education have been successful. They attracted hundreds of children and their families and many volunteers many of whom were teacher-candidates who came to share the love of mathematics and science with the larger community. However, this year’s event broke all the records – we had more than 400 guests and more than 80 volunteers. This would not have happened if not for a great Outreach Team we have at the Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy. 

The event is supported by the Dean of Education, by the Teacher Education Office, by the Department of Curriculum and Pedagogy and by the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.