First Year Guide of Awesome: PART I.

July 27th, 2011 § 1 comment

Me: [ranting about how friend didn’t know about the new U-Pass system at ALL] So you’re telling me that you would’ve waited for your U-Pass in the mail until you realize-
Friend: Yeah, I will, then I’d call you, and you’d know! You know everything!
Me: [facepalm]

So you’re about to be a First Year yourself. Yes, you. EXCITING, YEAH? :DDDV I know how you feel. University > high school (well, in most aspects). You’re gonna love it. It’s gonna be a blast. Yes, even you, the commuter. I was a commuter, and I’ll remain one for the next four years. And I still loved my first year and the commute home, especially after yoga class (actually, that comment might have just made you realize I’m a freak, which I kind of am. Moving on…).

My lovely Blog Squad fellow, Binta, has posted an extensive amount of info for you guys, which I have pretty much 0_0’ed at and applaud her for. However, I notice that the Arts crowd might require guidance of their own. That’s when I come in and attempt to be useful.

While I did try quite a bit of the whole breaking out into spontaneity business, I also survived my first year of UBC with quite the planning and to-do lists. All this thanks to research, geekiness, and my brimming excitement. That, with my involvement on campus contributed to my friend’s comment above. I know where random buildings are, I know stuff about involvement (and where to ask about it), I know where to get help and where to access resources. I’ve used them a lot before, and I’m pretty sure you can make good use of them, too.

So here goes part one of my Jennine’s First Year Guide of Awesome– Useful Resources.

1. RateMyProf- UBC– Okay, so I’m late in the whole giving-advice-about-courses bandwagon (of sorts). I always use this site to help me determine which section of a certain course I should take. While I realize that the prof him/herself is not an important factor in course planning to some people, it usually is for most others. I’ve learned to ignore the more subjective comments on focus on what I think makes the site useful: people share the prof’s teaching style, the amount of workload they give, which areas of the workload the prof likes to focus on more, how involved the TAs are, etc.

The important thing to keep in mind about this site is to only take the reviews into consideration, but not as an ultimate decision-swayer. If people say the prof assigns a lot of readings and is boring, maybe you actually prefer doing readings, and the prof ends up being the nicest ever. Choose a prof whose style you’ll think you’ll mesh with, or at least can deal with.

2. MyUBCCourses– So I’m pretty much convinced this site is the best invention ever, and I do not know how I have survived a whole term without it. You sign up for an account, select a course that’s full but really want to get into, and wait. If a spot opens, you’ll get an email (or a text, depending on your choice), and you RUN to the SSC and sign up for the course. :) AWESOME, RIGHT? :D I’ve gotten into one or two popular courses with this site. Though trust me when I say you have to sign up fast once you get that anticipated notification.

3. Arts Academic Advising– They’re helpful people, especially when you start needing help with courses throughout the year. Located in Buchanan D, by MASS (okay, half the Arts people I ask don’t know where MASS is. THIS IS SAD- it’s on the 1st floor of Buchanan D), they have drop-in hours, or book an appointment. Make sure you know who your advisor is, and have your UBCCard with you. I’m pretty sure they would’ve sent you an email by now (or would verrryy soon). You might not need them yet, but you are bound to make a stop there sooner or later- I myself just made my first visit there today.

4. UBC Campus Tours– If you’re in town, I must insist that you book a tour! I mean it. You won’t regret it. I myself went on the last one right before school started and found it very useful. It was a relaxed and informative tour that led me to all the key spots on campus, and the tour guides were the nicest! As someone who only set foot on campus once and have forgotten all about it, it was good to get an idea of the sheer vastness of walking that I was in for, and just to feel less stressed about the whole concept of university.

5. Wayfinding at UBC– This site was my lifeline during the first week of my first two terms. It’s good to have this site open on your smartphone, or if your phone has a data plan. Not only does this show where the building this on the UBC map, but it also shows info on the main entrances (which you will need for the Hebb building, trust me) and detailed directions to said building.

6. Work Study & Work Learn – Keep the site bookmarked, folks- job postings should be up in a couple of weeks! While jobs are very competitive, once you get one, with above minimum wage and only a maximum of 10 work hours required, it really is the best type of job you can have while being a full-time student. A post on how to ace that Work Study / Work Learn Interview should be coming up in a while!

7. SaveOnBook and Textbook123– First Year textbooks are usually in high supply in the used textbook market, so take advantage! These two sites (and Craigslist, but after much caution and desperation) are my favourites for buying used. I find SaveOnBook more informative, but Textbook123 is good for the Facebook-obsessed (you message people through Facebook there). Amazon is also a great option, but only if you’re able to use credit cards and can deal with shipping times (it might come until a few weeks into your course).

Also, a little tip- I find the best way to search for textbooks is through the ISBN Code, then the course number. Try and compare the selling price to the original price shown in Amazon to get a really good deal.

8. Free Food UBC– Free food is always good. And the guy in charge of this Twitter knows where to find them all over campus. It’s quite excellent, actually.

So that’s all for tonight. Fingers crossed that I can have these posts up weekly, leading up to September! :) Post II should compose of my favourite spots in UBC (bonus: awesome study areas).

Coping with not being able to Minor in French,
Jennine

P.S. I have recently put up a page listing the courses I have taken, so if anyone wants to know how I dealt with them, feel free to contact me!

§ One Response to First Year Guide of Awesome: PART I.

• dsgds gdsgdsg says:

*** {{w w w }} {{voguecatch }} {{ us }} *****
    The website whol esale for many kinds of fas hion sho es,
    like the nik e,jord an,pr ada, also including the jea ns,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations.
    All the products are free ship ping, and the the price is com petitive,
    and also can accept the pay pal pay ment.
    ,after the paym ent, can ship within short time