Due to various factors, the plan for this last week has changed.
See the email sent out on Nov. 24, and reprinted here: http://blogs.ubc.ca/phil230/2014/11/24/change-in-plans-for-last-week-of-class/
What this means is that we are not discussing the following. Please see the link above for what we’re doing instead.
Last moral issue journal entry due Friday, Nov. 28, by 5pm (optional; see the moral issue journal instructions for details).
Tues., Nov. 25
Held, Virginia. “The Ethics of Care.” The Oxford Handbook of Ethical Theory. Ed. David Copp. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- UBC students can access this article, here: http://resolve.library.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/catsearch?bid=5595625
- Go to the “online access” orange button towards the top right, then click on the link called “book,” then go to “Normative Ethical Theory” in the table of contents, the “The Ethics of Care.”
- You can just read sections 1-7; the rest is optional.
Thurs., Nov. 27
Noddings, Nel. “Caring.” Starting at Home: Caring and Social Policy. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 2002.
- Available to UBC students, here: http://resolve.library.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/catsearch?bid=7224134
- Go to the “online access” orange button towards the top right, then click on the link called “book,” then in the table of contents go to Part One, “Care Theory,” then Chapter 1, “Caring”
- You can just read pp. 1-24; the rest is optional.