Cheer up everybody!

By way of Tony Whitson:

President George W. Bush, departing from the NO airport (Sept 2, 2005):

Here’s what I believe. I believe that the great city of New Orleans will rise again and be a greater city of New Orleans.

I believe the town where I used to come from, Houston, Texas, to enjoy myself, occasionally too much, will be that very same town, that it will be a better place to come to. That’s what I believe.
________________________________________________________________________

Being There (Jerzy Kosinski, 1979):

Chance the Gardener [Peter Sellers, a/k/a “Chauncey Gardner”]: As long a the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.

President “Bobby” [Jack Warden]: In the garden.

Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.

President “Bobby”: Spring and summer.

Chance the Gardener: Yes.

President “Bobby”: Then fall and winter. …

Chance the Gardener: Yes! There will be growth in the spring! …

President “Bobby”: Hm. Well, Mr. Gardner, I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I’ve heard in a very, very long time.
————
Louise [Ruth Attaway, With other poor black seniors, watching Chance on TV]: It’s for sure a white man’s world in America. Look here: I raised that boy since he was the size of a piss-ant. And I’ll say right now, he never learned to read and write. No, sir. Had no brains at all. Was stuffed with rice pudding between th’ ears. Shortchanged by the Lord, and dumb as a jackass. Look at him now! Yes, sir, all you’ve gotta be is white in America, to get whatever you want. Gobbledy-gook!