Bathroom breaks vs. grades—The abursidy of schooling in the NCLB era

fly1.jpg
Here’s a story about the absurdity of schooling in an era where test scores have trumped anything close to what might be considered authentic learning. Schools are actually giving “extra-credit” for unused hall passes!

Washington Post: How bad to you have to go?

At Some Schools, It’s Bathroom Breaks vs. Grades
By Ian Shapira
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 6, 2006; Page A01

Even though Daniel Thornton occasionally needed to go to the bathroom during his AP history course last year, he also needed a B on the midterm to maintain his grade. So he did what lots of students at Forest Park Senior High School in Woodbridge do in their Darwinian pursuit of academic success: Thornton endured a full bladder and instead hoarded his two restroom passes, which, unused, were worth six points of extra credit.

It was enough to bump the 18-year-old’s midterm grade from a C-plus to a B.

“Occasionally it made days unpleasant, but I was just very careful. I would try to go in the five minutes beforehand or afterwards, between classes,” said Thornton, who will graduate this month. “Some of my classmates definitely had a lot of trouble. People around me would fidget, especially girls.”

Bladder control, especially in an era of 90-minute classes, is a vital skill in many Washington area high schools, where administrators often limit access to restrooms during class to reduce interruptions and quash potential mischief in areas without adult supervision.Restrooms, of course, have been a choice milieu for school scofflaws since the advent of indoor plumbing. With school security a top priority, administrators have become vigilant enforcers as they try to block loitering, bullying or drug use in student restrooms.

At many schools, doors to boys and girls restrooms have been removed altogether. In Montgomery County’s Montgomery Blair High School, students can see boys standing at urinals and girls entering and exiting stalls in the bathrooms near the front office.

Teachers have whipped up creative ways to minimize restroom visits during class. Some schools have an extra-credit incentive program, which is not universally embraced among parents or within academic circles. Although advocates say the passes — which can be used for numerous destinations — maximize classroom time, critics say it is unfair to give anyone an academic advantage based on something as unacademic as bathroom habits.

“What’s the correlation between holding your urine and succeeding on a history test?” asked Kevin Barr, principal of Georgetown Day School, a private school in the District. “My basic assumption is always that kids need to be comfortable and safe to excel in the classroom.”

The Spanish class Carol Wesley’s 15-year-old daughter takes at W.T. Woodson High School in Fairfax County offers hallway extra credit. Although Wesley sympathizes with teachers trying to maintain order, she said, “It’s absurd to reward people for not taking care of simple human bodily functions when necessary.”

Public schools in the District, Virginia and Maryland do not have systemwide policies about bathroom rules but leave it to individual schools or classroom teachers to decide. Many teachers opt for the simple and venerable hall pass, which has been around for decades. In that case, students carry a visible pass so hallway monitors can immediately tell that they are authorized to be out of class.

Other schools use a more archival approach to keep track of students and their bathroom habits: log sheets on which students must jot down the time they need to leave class and their destination. A teacher’s initials are also needed.

The log sheets — in a small agenda book given out at the beginning of the year — help teachers check how often students use the restroom during class — indicating which ones may be cadging a break. In one agenda book, the log sheet is euphemistically called the Hallway Passport.

Some students who use the log sheets prefer them because they don’t have other people’s germs and they’re never scrounging for a pass. Other students, such as Samantha Mosquera at Forest Park, find the log absurd.

“Sometimes, I’ll just go through the book, and I’ll see how many times I’ve gone to the bathroom in the year, and I’m like, ‘What the heck?’ It’s a lot,” said Mosquera, 18, a senior on the crew team, who noted that she has to drink water all day to stay hydrated for her tough afternoon practices. “It should be like college, especially for seniors. We can vote. We can go to war. We should be able to pee whenever we want.”

Bathroom rules have become so ingrained in students’ psyches that they affect hallway culture. With only five or so minutes between classes, students must make potentially life-altering decisions: Should I go, or should I flirt with my locker neighbor?

At Albert Einstein High School in Montgomery, students find any scrap piece of paper — or a hand will suffice — on which to sign a teacher’s name and time. But Principal James Fernandez said he wants to order agenda books with log sheets for next year.

“The agenda books provide accountability,” Fernandez said.

Sometimes a game of cloak and dagger ensues. At Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Prince George’s County, some students have gotten in trouble for swiping blank passes off of teachers’ desks and forging teachers’ signatures, said Robynne Prince, an assistant principal.

At other times, students get in trouble when they sneak off to a restroom nowhere near their class but within shouting distance to a friend in an another room. Recently, Prince caught a student in the cafeteria who had a pass for the restroom only.

“He said, ‘Well I just stopped in to talk to someone,’ so I followed him from table to table,” she recalled. “I questioned him and said, ‘What class do you belong to?’ He said, ‘English,’ but that was on the second floor — and we were on the first floor, so I know he passed three bathrooms.”

That’s why, at schools such as Forest Park in Prince William County and W.T. Woodson in Fairfax — some teachers offer extra credit if students stay put. “It gets the students to plan ahead and organize. It’s grown in popularity because teachers feel that it cuts down on disruptions,” said Beverly Ellis, an AP history teacher at Forest Park. “I discourage them from leaving unless it’s a real emergency. They’ve got to convince me.”

For Daniel Thornton, one of Ellis’s students, the system played a minor role in his success. He got a full tuition scholarship to Washington and Lee University. And this week, he expects to be named valedictorian.

© 2006 The Washington Post Company