Winter is Coming – Get Fit and Stay that Way

By Jojo Das,

Residence Advisor

10805364_4752279101121_46594023_n

It happens to us all. The cold air and pouring rain can dim the light inside of all of us, which includes our workout plans. Staying fit is vital for not only our physical health, but also for our mental and emotional health and happiness. Here are four of my own most used tips to get your toosh moving this winter.

1. Find a buddy – a workout/exercise partner is something that I have found either makes or breaks my fitness routine. I personally have a tough time to self-motivated, but if you know that someone else is counting on you to be there, it provides just enough of that extra “oomph” to get you out there. Also, when you are out exercising, your partner can give you that encouragement to keep on pushing through your own self-set limitations and achieve your goals.

1. Make a schedule – I know this one is kind of tedious, but look at your weekly routine and pencil in times where you can workout. Now here’s the hard part: actually use those times you set aside to workout. Having a schedule planned out means you don’t have to scramble for a time to get in your exercise, and also (hopefully) avoids the whole “Oh, I’ll just start tomorrow” scenario. If you already planned it through, go do it.

1. Set a goal – Now that you have steps 1 and 2 done, pick somewhere you want this endeavor to head towards. Make this goal reasonable, and don’t get too discouraged if you don’t see progress right away. Like all good things, fitness takes time. Setting a goal is a good way to keep track of how you grow with your personal fitness, and gives you something to shoot towards. Also, when you do hit that goal, it gives you a pretty good reason to go celebrate!

1. Repeat – There, you’ve figured out what works for you. You’ve found a buddy that motivates you, you know how to make a schedule that works, and you’ve just finished reaching that first goal. What next? Do it all over again and this time, reach even higher.

10799814_4752279141122_328368845_n