Picture1Life’s greatest pleasure in my opinion is falling asleep next to something warm. That’s a skill I’ve been practicing for as long as I can remember. It’s a peaceful comforting endeavor that helps with all sorts of life’s problems. I could even say that I’m a professional cuddliteer. You see, I have a full time job as a floofy friend. I have a companion, who is a very busy boy but he often makes time for me. I get to ride on his shoulder around the residence, and sit on is head so I can read while he reads. Best of all, when it’s time for bed we get to snuggle up together like a sushi roll: blankets as rice, sheets as nori paper, and us the goodies in the middle.

During the days when my companion is in class or meetings, he lets me have the room to myself. I like to sit on my pillow and think about the world.

I like to think about anything that sparks my curiosity. Big and small. I have lots of time to think.

Most of all I like to think that even though my companion has grown up, I still reside. An everlasting, never-aging piece of him.

The role I have in my companion’s life is extremely important. I am a constant: something stable to rely on to always been there. He can trust me to hang on tight when the waters are rough and the going gets tough. I’m always there to keep the cold wind off his neck when November sets in and the skies are always overcast. I give him freedom to think and feel and understand. I help him express what he cannot put to words. I am a reminder to stay true and authentic and not pretend to be someone else. Oh, and I’m also a pretty good wing man.

I’ve noticed that people can struggle to on course through life as a student. It’s so hard to make it through the stress that comes with school and work and life and family without questioning the situation. I sometimes see my companion wonder if the direction he has taken is the correct way to go. Honestly I don’t think there is one correct answer. There is no path to follow. Perhaps “thrashing one’s way through the foliage of a thick jungle hoping to run into “success” by chance along the way” is a more accurate description of young adulthood.

I know that it’s easy to get lost in a jungle, but that’s all part of growing up. Sometimes getting thoroughly lost is the best way to find one’s self. My job is to be there with my companion, hanging on tight to my seat on his shoulder as we make our way deeper and deeper into the jungle. And when he is feeling lost he can look down at me and kiss my head, and play with my ears, and give me a hug. He knows that at least he’s doing something right, because we are still together. Best friends forever.

So why am I telling you all this, and why should you take the advice of a stuffed dog? Through all of my time as a floofy friend I’ve learned that you should never be afraid of needing a buddy, upon whose shoulder you can sit. If you have something or someone that makes you feel safe and comfortable and lets your be yourself don’t try to hide them. Cherish them, love them and in return they’ll help you get through those November days when it rains a lot, or when the midterm marks you get back aren’t as good as you thought. More often than not when you’re in a crumby spot it’s best to be honest, give it a shot. Life’s greatest challenge in my opinion is staying true to yourself. Only then can you fully appreciate life’s greatest pleasures.

~Steve