Thrive Week!

Did you know that Thrive is a week long series of events aimed at positive mental health for students, faculty and staff? This year, Thrive is happening Nov 02 – 06, 2015. There are A TON of great events occurring around campus during this week revolving around positive mental health, and for an extensive list, please check out this link: http://thrive.ubc.ca/thrive-events/

Oftentimes around this time of year, some folks will be feeling drained from midterms and a bit anxious for finals. But there are plenty of things you can do in order to feel like you’re thriving!

1. Live in the moment – as university students, we have a ton on our plate, but take the time to live in the present moment and think about how you are feeling at the moment, what you are feeling and why you are feeling that way.

1. Exercise – exercise is great for not only physical fitness, but also mental fitness. I have found that with my 4 years at UBC, the times where I keep on top of my exercise regimen and stay active, my mind stays calmer easier, and I have less anxiety when it comes to my numerous projects, papers and work that I have to do.

1. Get good sleep – sleep is necessary to survive! Sleep is thought of as an overall indicator for health and well-being. For students, it is often that we forget what is like to feel well-rested. Something that I have learned about myself is to put my digital gadgets far away from my bed, avoid caffeine after my midafternoon snack, and to try to meditate and clear my mind of tasks and lists prior to bed. Find out what can help you clear your mind, and help you get good sleep.

1. Smile & laugh – You may have heard this time and time again – laughter is the best medicine. Laughter can often act as an antidote to stress, pain and conflict. It can relax the body, boost the immune system by decreasing stress hormones and infection-battling antibodies, and can release endorphins which is your body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Don’t forget the time to do something, watch something, or talk to someone that makes you smile and laugh!

1. Volunteer – do you ever get that warm fuzzy feeling when you volunteer for a cause that you really believe in? Take the time to research various causes, clubs and initiatives within (and outside) of the UBC community to find something you believe in! When taking the time to help others, you can boost your morale and self confidence too!

Inspired by http://thrive.ubc.ca/thrive-365-days/

Anna Chen