Maggie recalls a funny story from a previous typhoon in Ulithi:

We have one pig, that’s for our daughter, our youngest daughter. Really big pig. My husband went out to take the pig and bring to the coconut tree because the wave has got very very big wave. He went and untie and pull it, but the line is very far. It’s like it is there, and the pig is there, out there [pointing]. Pull, pull, but the pig really go like this. He got tired of pulling the pig and he was telling me, “Let’s leave the pig here.” And I said, “No. I know what we’re going to do. The pig is going to walk.”

I keep on pulling, pulling, then give me. So I took the rope, and then I really go close to the pig, and I really talk to the pig. “Please come, let’s go there and I’ll tie you there, because if you stay here, then a wave will come and it will hit you, and you will die. Come, please.” So the pig followed me [laughs]. We went to there, to the coconut tree, and I tied the pig there. Then we come and we live in the house there.

In the morning, he’s the one who went there, wake up and went there first. When I went out, he already took all the pig. There’s some other pigs with that big pig. He took all of them and put them out to where they belong. I come and I saw them, “Were you the one who took the pigs there?” “Yeah! What did you think?” [Laughing] And he said, “I took him out there. I went to get and pull it out there.”

I was looking at the pig and I was trying to think of what to do and I thought, “Hm. I’m not going to pleasing this pig.” [Laughing] I’m not going to pleasing this pig, because the others, they said, “No, leave that pig. And we go.” Because it’s very windy and wave really coming very big.” But I said, “No, we’re going to take this pig there.” So I go and I talk to him, and he follow me. When I stop and talk to him, he follow me. Two times I move the pig, I talk to him and I said I still listen. [Laughing]