Peer Review of Definitions

To: Usman Zahoor, ENGL 301 Peer

From: Adrienne Yap, Fellow ENGL 301 Peer

Date: Sept, 27, 2019

Subject: Peer Review of Definitions

Hi Usman,

I have reviewed your Lesson 1:3 Assignment on your definitions of genetic drift. I learned so much! You did a wonderful job, I especially appreciate the visuals you attached as they made the concept much clearer. I would like to offer a few suggestions for next time: 

Initial Impression: I have a bit of a background in science, so I had a vague idea of what genetic drift was. After reading your definitions I was definitely more clear on the concept. Although, I think if I didn’t have experience in science, I might have needed a bit more information. 

Suggestions: I wasn’t completely sure about what you meant by “passing on genes”. Were you referring to the organism’s progeny? Mating? Both? I would probably just ask for some minor revisions. I would also recommend expanding your section on “How Does it Work and What Does it Look Like” to include not just an example, but a more thorough explanation on genetic drift. However, your visual example within the expanded definition section was a really great way to explain quite a complex topic.  

Organization: I appreciate how you labelled each expansion. From what I gathered, your methods included the following: how does it work, what does it look like, what’s needed to make it occur, and what it is not. These all work very well to explain the concept. 

Final Thoughts: Again, if I did not have any experience in science, I would probably need a bit more clarification in the expanded definition section. Although the visual was terrific, I think a non-science student might still need more description surrounding such a complicated topic. The best part of the document was by far, the comic strip. It clearly outlines the potential circumstances that genetic drift may occur in and simplifies a complicated topic. 

I really enjoyed reading your definitions, it brought me back to my time as a science student! Hopefully my recommendations were clear and will help you with your technical definitions in the future.